• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can cpu cause computer to freeze?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boosteeddc

so i asked some questions before regarding a built i did for a friend with a fx6100, reason why we wanted to oc it is cause we thought the processor might not be strong enough and is causing computer to freeze alot. so after overclocking it to 4.0 ghz i ran prime95, for about 10 mins the computer froze and wouldnt recover. and computer on normal operations would freeze every 10 mins or so either while multi-tasking or gaming, but recovers in like 2 seconds. (freezing was worse before overclock) . its a brand new built system and im not sure where to start looking for problems, what could be causing computer to freeze? and idle temps on the fx6100 is about 38c, kind of high.
system specs: m5a97 mobo, fx6100, 8gb corsair vengeance, gigabyte 6850, ocz sata 2 120gb ssd, win7 home

thanks

It could be the processor, but you have far too many variables to be able to say for sure.

Easiest thing you can do is start the process of elimination. Drop everything to stock and/or reset the BIOS to stock settings. If it works fine, then it is a setting that was changed. If it has issues at stock, I'd start by testing RAM.

so i asked some questions before regarding a built i did for a friend with a fx6100, reason why we wanted to oc it is cause we thought the processor might not be strong enough and is causing computer to freeze alot. so after overclocking it to 4.0 ghz i ran prime95, for about 10 mins the computer froze and wouldnt recover. and computer on normal operations would freeze every 10 mins or so either while multi-tasking or gaming, but recovers in like 2 seconds. (freezing was worse before overclock) . its a brand new built system and im not sure where to start looking for problems, what could be causing computer to freeze? and idle temps on the fx6100 is about 38c, kind of high.
system specs: m5a97 mobo, fx6100, 8gb corsair vengeance, gigabyte 6850, ocz sata 2 120gb ssd, win7 home

thanks

Yes! That was the typical way of Prime95 failing with my T'bred 2400+ KIXJB 04xx.
Boom, it just suddenly freezes! Mouse pointer won't move and have to hard reboot!
Starts doing that bull crap when at 2.415 Ghz or around there.

But, T'breds seem intolerant of being higher than 55 C, especially with 1.85V+ Vcore.

In my case, it was more likely to do it with more Vcore and less Vcore was more likely to cause error messages.
Seems that it was a hard core wall that was impossible to crack in my case!

Because when the Vcore was raised, it was still unstable and seemed to just change the symptoms, from getting errors to just freezing! lol!

Last edited:
It could be the processor, but you have far too many variables to be able to say for sure.

Easiest thing you can do is start the process of elimination. Drop everything to stock and/or reset the BIOS to stock settings. If it works fine, then it is a setting that was changed. If it has issues at stock, I'd start by testing RAM.

well the problem was the computer was freezing while everything was stock and brand new! so thats why we decided to overclock it to see if it will fix anything, it did help, it still freezes, but recovers in a heart beat, so how do i test rams? bad rams still work but would cause freezing?

Yes! That was the typical way of Prime95 failing with my T'bred 2400+ KIXJB 04xx.
Boom, it just suddenly freezes! Mouse pointer won't move and have to hard reboot!
Starts doing that bull crap when at 2.415 Ghz or around there.

But, T'breds seem intolerant of being higher than 55 C, especially with 1.85V+ Vcore.

In my case, it was more likely to do it with more Vcore and less Vcore was more likely to cause error messages.
Seems that it was a hard core wall that was impossible to crack in my case!

Because when the Vcore was raised, it was still unstable and seemed to just change the symptoms, from getting errors to just freezing! lol!

yes, exact sameway how it froze and had to power it off manually.

Yes, bad memory can cause this issue. I would grab Memtest (get the ISO and burn to a disk) and try that first. Let it run a few passes to see if any red pops up.

If that does ok, give LinX a run. Set it to use all RAM and do 50 passes. You don't have to actually let it run through all the passes, but the longer you let it run, the higher chance it will find stability. If the system is freezing frequently, this should throw a flag pretty quick.

well the problem was the computer was freezing while everything was stock and brand new! so thats why we decided to overclock it to see if it will fix anything = Overclock a freezing system to see if it fixes anything? I cannot go there.

There have been about three instances of customers/users/posters come into the forum with an FX-6100 not running at stock/default settings. The Vcore was too low as set by the bios. In the end I think they also had power supply issues as well as the power suppy was not up to powering an FX 6 core processor.

Now there is about a 2% chance that your ram is not well configured for the setup at hand. Ram running too fast for processor speed. Speeding up the Cpu Mhz might tend to change the symptoms of the entire system but n0t fix the issue in totality.

I agree with those suggesting to clear the CmOs and Load Optimized/Setup Defaults and run Prime 95 Blend test again. For at least 20mins if possible. Capture HWMonitor Min/Max temps and volts and post to the thread so we can see what is going on.

If P95 Blend immediately fails, then go into bios and set the Vcore to 1.4Volts and RE-test in P95 Blend. If it passes now at stock speed with ram set to defaults after Cm0s clear, then the default Cpu voltage of mobo is too low or the CPU is bad. That about gets it.

PS: there is nothing wrong with running Memtest86+ from CD/Usb stick since it will find ram that has a very prominent issue. Memtest86+ can at odd times give ram a clean bill of health and it not be so. However testing with Memtest86+ is not a waste of time since it will find ram that is actually fully bad in some way.

well the problem was the computer was freezing while everything was stock and brand new! so thats why we decided to overclock it to see if it will fix anything = Overclock a freezing system to see if it fixes anything? I cannot go there.

There have been about three instances of customers/users/posters come into the forum with an FX-6100 not running at stock/default settings. The Vcore was too low as set by the bios. In the end I think they also had power supply issues as well as the power suppy was not up to powering an FX 6 core processor.

Now there is about a 2% chance that your ram is not well configured for the setup at hand. Ram running too fast for processor speed. Speeding up the Cpu Mhz might tend to change the symptoms of the entire system but n0t fix the issue in totality.

I agree with those suggesting to clear the CmOs and Load Optimized/Setup Defaults and run Prime 95 Blend test again. For at least 20mins if possible. Capture HWMonitor Min/Max temps and volts and post to the thread so we can see what is going on.

If P95 Blend immediately fails, then go into bios and set the Vcore to 1.4Volts and RE-test in P95 Blend. If it passes now at stock speed with ram set to defaults after Cm0s clear, then the default Cpu voltage of mobo is too low or the CPU is bad. That about gets it.

PS: there is nothing wrong with running Memtest86+ from CD/Usb stick since it will find ram that has a very prominent issue. Memtest86+ can at odd times give ram a clean bill of health and it not be so. However testing with Memtest86+ is not a waste of time since it will find ram that is actually fully bad in some way.

will do, next time ill be going there to do this probably tomorrow night, ill post results asap

Back