• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 activation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psykoikonov

I purchased 2 OEM Win 7 Home Premium x64 from an online store that I bought the parts for 2 computers from (built by me). One of the computers is no longer in service. Recently one the key I had been using for some time went useless after some upgrade iterations (mobo, processor, vid card etc.), it won't even activate by phone now (M$ says it's not a legit key). So I switched to the other key I bought for the computer no longer in service and it activated without a problem, I just flashed the bios back to a previous version due to an issue with the new bios version and now it wants me to reactivate and it won't online activate anymore (back to by phone).

M$ seriously, everytime I flash a bios or do a fresh install I either lose my online activation or I lose my key entirely...:screwy: Is there anyway to fix this? I don't want to buy another copy, I have 2 legit keys and am now down to one that requires phone activation if I look at my computer wrong. :bang head:

Not really a way to fix it, no. Every time I reinstall Windows, I have to call to activate.

EDIT: Well, ok, there is a way to fix it, but you won't want to hear the answer.

I headed over to M$ forum and searched activation and got my answer, OEM versions (and upgrade versions) do not allow motherboard changes (apparently including a bios flash if the change is big enough I guess, the key is tied to the first mobo activated) OEM versions (and upgrade versions) also don't allow M$ personnel support contact :bang head:. Looks like once this key runs out of "by phone" activation's I'll be purchasing non-OEM (retail) versions, M$ take out the garbage.

Last edited:
Ive done phone activation across a half dozen motherboards for an oem copy of vista, and im on my 4th with win7. Never been a problem. Did have a laptop come through once that would not activate with its key and a clean unbloated install, had to use the system restore disk. Its pretty lame that its easier to crack it, even with a legit copy.

The activation for every other OS I can think of is indeed much easier lol. However buying an OEM computer or the parts to build one and the associated "rules" for the OEM OS (not upgrade) that go along with it are extreme imo lol.

I upgraded my computer from the P67 Extreme4 that died to this Maximus V Gene, the key went illegal, called, and got reactivated.

And, yeah, I use Windows as a Wintendo. Arch has eeeeeeverything I need, and more.

Back