• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA990FXE post issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KetoSoi

Hi all,

First post here, been lurking a long time though.

I have a Biostar TA990FXE thats been having issues. I'm using an FX-4170, 8GB of G.Skill 2133, and a Sapphire ATI 6870. Cooler is a Corsair H60. PS is a Coolmax 700w. No OC'ing (never got that far! lol)

The board died, frozen on the initial bios page on boot. Went back to Biostar, they 'fixed' it (got the same board back). The board lasted about 5 minutes, and wouldnt boot any more (post-code 60). Sent the mobo back to Biostar again, got it back again, lasted 5 minutes, no boot, post-code 60. It should be mentioned that no amount of cmos reset, or re-seating components had any effect in any of those times mentioned above.

In my frustration, I went and bought an Asus M5A99X EVO, popped it in with all the same parts mentioned above, and its been running solid for days, no issues on Prime95 either.

I'm wondering if some combination of parts I'm using could be causing the Biostar board to die constantly? Has anyone seen anything like that before? Does Biostar just suck these days?

Question, questions...

Feel free to give any ideas, or just comment :)

K

Without knowing if the motherboard uses an AMI or Phoenix type bios it is hard to say more than I would get rid of that board.

Might have been some kind of keyboard incompatibility issue with that post code.

AMI Bios Post code #60
Initialize NUM-LOCK status and programs the KBD typematic rate.

Might have been some kind of keyboard incompatibility issue with that post code.

AMI Bios Post code #60
Initialize NUM-LOCK status and programs the KBD typematic rate.

Interesting...

Thats pretty bad if it cant handle a regular Keytronics 101E keyboard, theyre as common as dirt, lol

I know it's an old topic, but i have the exact same issue with the same mb. I got a blue screen meanwhile I was playing, after the reboot my ethernet adapter stopped working. After a few reboots, it stopped booting and showing that 60 code, but if i removed my ram sticks, it would beep like a good mb should. Tried resetting de bios, still no results.

So mainly, i'm trying to find out for sure what already I suspect.
Anyone?

All we really know 23 months after the orignal poster said he fixed his problem by swapping out to another board altogether is that even a CMOS clear did no good for him and after the board came back from BioStar 3 times it was still no good for more than 5 minutes. Sounds like you need a new mobo.
RGone...

Seems so... Well thanks very much for the reply. I deserved it.. This is what I get for wanting an awesome black-red themed mb, instead of going for a solid 8+2 phases mb.

Seems so... Well thanks very much for the reply. I deserved it.. This is what I get for wanting an awesome black-red themed mb, instead of going for a solid 8+2 phases mb.

I hear you man. I wanted Red/Black as well and got the CHV board in red and black So glad I went for the full monte since it has not let me down once nor been my overclocking road-block. Just how cold can I get the FX processor determines how fast it will clock.
RGone...

I was using one of those boards as a daily driver. What "Killed" it wasn't something that should have done it - A simply bad stick of RAM that didn't kill or even affect my Asus boards.

Here's a bit of history on it.

The first TA990FXE I had kicked the bucket when I tried my Trident X sticks in it, those sticks are not bad to this day but something about them caused the board to quit working.

The symptom is simply it acts as if the is no power reaching the board from the PSU, no standby LEDs or anything.

Did an RMA on that one and got this one in, ran it for sometime and yeah, maybe I should have known better when I tried it with the bad stick.
I was simply testing it, not doing anything else and it caused the same exact thing to happen. I just removed the board and set it aside. I retested this same stick in my CHV and didn't bother it at all except to cause a boot error but nothing else.

Biostar should at least make a board/product that can tolerate a bad stick of RAM instead of folding over it, this just screams poor quality and workmanship esp if their competitors can make a board that isn't affected by it except to have an error.

As said, this makes two boards that have done the same identical thing related to how they died and symptoms they had.

Back