• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Macro to find differences?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I have been noticing a problem at work lately and I was wondering if someone could help me out here? I'm a CNC Machinist and I use Cad/Cam software to create programs for the machines in a text format. We have a server that stores all of our programs and we have a **** ton of programs. Lately I've been noticing programs disappearing, I create manual backups myself about twice a week and when I look at the properties I can see that programs are being deleted. My question is, can I run a program to compare the server folder to my backup folder and have it tell me what's missing? Our programs are saved in a number format (01234) so I would just be looking for what is missing from my server folder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since those are Linux commands, no.

I would work towards figuring out what/who is deleting them. Are these files on a share?

Since those are Linux commands, no.

I would work towards figuring out what/who is deleting them. Are these files on a share?

Yes they are and we have about 10 work stations that have access to this folder so it's pretty hard to pin point what's going on. I would just like to monitor the folders and see what files are being removed and from what folders. We have about 20 different cnc folders based on our machines and it varies from day to day on what's being deleted.

A quick and dirty solution would be to remove their ability to delete files. I haven't looked, but I'm fairly sure you could get logging software for the smb shares. Wait for a file to get deleted and you'd have which user (if you are using a domain) and the computer it was delete from.

Using the tools mentioned earlier isn't going to solve your problem. It will just make it more complicated and place a bandaid over it.

Back