• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice on Buying Cheap Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

Need a cheap laptop to get me by until I get more money to get something decent. Looking for advice on how to proceed. Buy new or used? Cheap is under $300 if possible. Need it to do WiFi and internet surfing. Screen size, specs, etc don't matter. Just a laptop to get me by for a few months until I can get something decent. Thanks

Why not one of them cheap netbooks?

I don't know what a netbook is really - and assumed a laptop would do what I needed.

I am considering an alternative. Buy a new socket 939 mobo + OS, and re-use old parts. Problem with this is I'm not mobile and loss of money when I upgrade in a couple months.

Basically just trying to get back online without running to the library as I am now, and if that can be mobile - so much the better. Keeping it cheap though

I keep finding better ones, btw. Here is my latest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-T43-Len...ptops_Nov05&hash=item1c28693025#ht_3744wt_924

I'd look at the more business oriented models. Check out the Dell D620 / D630 as well. I've got experiance with the dells and thinkpads: Built well, should last forever (in fact, I've still got a PIII Thinkpad running.)

Recommendations like yours are what I'm looking for. Only so much searching I can do myself on a library PC at 1 hour per day. But I will and post back with what I'm considering. May be buying in a few days at the earliest.

Never used Win7 until going to the library the last few days. I find it bloated and commonly used items hidden away for no reason. I would prefer Win XP over 7 in a laptop.

Also really would like these cababilities:
- hook up and access an external IDE drive (my old hard drives).
- hook up an external monitor, anything: DVI or VGA.
- hook up an external USB mouse and keyboard.

Kind of surprised to find laptops under $300 that compare in speed to my old home PC that I'm replacing. :)

Update:

Found used home PCs and laptops locally on Craigslist for under $125 that will get me by until buying a decent laptop with all the extras. Should have checked CL first. Great deals on eBay too, but for more money.

Glad to see one thing hasn't changed since joining O/C - members providing quick, helpful and up to date replies to requests for help. Thanks again.

I have searched and found a new laptop under 300, there really have few new laptops under 300 in the market currently, you can see here, you may like dell inspiron iM101z-3980BK, i3 features +2g ram, can satisfy your needs well.

Update:

I am no longer looking for a laptop (or anything).

I bought a used PC with a P4 processor locally for $75. Added memory and stuff from my dead PC and that's getting the job done for now.

I plan on upgrading to a laptop or other mobile solution in the near future - budget to be determined. I will research that later and post a new thread.

Thanks everyone.

Back