• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF3 upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GTX 560 Ti will get you good frames at high at 1080p. For reference I run a GTX 580 at 2560x1440 and play BF3 online with decent fps (45+ average) on High settings; aa off; FXAA (post processing) on medium; ambient occlusion on low, AF on 2x. That's 80% more pixels than 1080p. So I'd definitely say the GTX 560 ti can run high at good frames at 1080p. (Note; Ti model)

Well thing about the motherboard.. It doesn't need to be overly expensive. A Z77 Asrock Pro 4-m or Pro 3 or Extreme 4-M can be found at decent prices. Throw in a 2500K; with the GTX 560 Ti and you've got yourself a damn nice gaming system for 1080p.

Alternatively; if you don't plan to overclock and have no interest in it.. An Asrock H77M board + intel i5 3450 Ivy bridge would do you excellent as well. Would be fine for gaming at 1080p; and at stock the i5 3450 should be similar if not slightly faster than a stock 2500k (keeping in mind turbo frequencies..)

Unfortunately I cannot afford the GTX 560 Ti as its close to an extra $100.
I do plan to overclock. Not sure how easy it is but willing to try it.

Then wait and save. Honestly. I know its hard. But it'll be well worth it. Cheaping out now is a bad idea. And you ultimately won't be happy.

you could always go second hand? You can pick up second had 560ti's for under $150 on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVidia-GTX-...o_TV_Cards&hash=item4ab9184530#ht_1011wt_1139

Edited out.

Great buy. I thought it was 'place bid' at a quick glance.. Didn't realize it was buy it now. DAMNNN I would jump on that lol.. Seriously; OP; if you can; buy it. That'll Ultra you out (for single player) at 1080p; though I wouldn't recommend keeping ultra specs for Multiplayer personally.

That being said; a used GTX 460 would be a better buy than a GTX 550 ti if the price is right..

Edited out.

Great buy. I thought it was 'place bid' at a quick glance.. Didn't realize it was buy it now. DAMNNN I would jump on that lol.. Seriously; OP; if you can; buy it. That'll Ultra you out (for single player) at 1080p; though I wouldn't recommend keeping ultra specs for Multiplayer personally.

That being said; a used GTX 460 would be a better buy than a GTX 550 ti if the price is right..

yer i was gobsmacked when i saw it. Seems kosher. buy it if you can OP :thup:

quality aftermarket cooler on that too :D

if you dont manage to snap up that 560ti you could always go with a 470, they go for the same kinda price on ebay. Run hot as hell, but should be better than a 550ti

Last edited:
Hard advice to take but still good advice.

I will wait until i can afford a better card.

Hard advice to take but still good advice.

I will wait until i can afford a better card.

OP look at the link i supplied you with!

here it is again!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVidia-GTX-5...ht_1011wt_1139

it wont last for long at that price, then again you always run a risk when buying off ebay, but their buyer protection is pretty solid, so if there is something wrong you can be pretty sure you'll get your money back

I cant I cant.. I have cash only at the moment. Damm!

sdhysbafsiaudfgbsdafa :bang head put it in your bank tomorrow and pray that its still there. You wont get a better deal than that for some time, espeically with a giga card with that cooler. Also giga do RMA by serial number if i am correct. So if im right ( someone please step in if I'm not) then even if the card does die ( within about a 2 and a half years judging by long this guy has had it) then you can just send it right back to them.

Last edited:
To be honest, I was a little skeptical about buying a used card anyway. And add to that the fact that it was Ebay.... well, I prefer to wait until I can afford the full price. The few times I did buy from Ebay were a bad experience.

I think I can afford to push to $200 if I hold off on the Mobo and CPU for a while. So will continue to look for something in that price range.

Xander89, thanks for the link regardless.

And the 8Gb memory arrived today. Doesn't fit. Guessing my Mobo only takes DDR 2 only. That sucks.
Maybe I should get a new mobo first, then focus on a Video card....

And the 8Gb memory arrived today. Doesn't fit. Guessing my Mobo only takes DDR 2 only. That sucks.
Maybe I should get a new mobo first, then focus on a Video card....
Yeah, square peg, round hole.

Seems like you are just randomly buying stuff? You have experts RIGHT HERE ANSWERING YOUR EVERY QUESTION... there shouldnt be issues like this man. Use us! :thup: :grouphug:

Well, I can return it easily. Or keep it.

Frustrating to say the least. :mad: Anyway, lesson learned. Back to the drawing board. DDR 2 seems to be a dying technology.

I will start with a motherboard and CPU and work from there. Heading to MicroCenter tomorrow to grab a board and CPU.

No, and suggestions are welcome. Please, please!

Someone posted earlier I should go with an i5 proc and a cheapish mobo. I like that idea.

In general. not really sure.

No, and suggestions are welcome. Please, please!

Someone posted earlier I should go with an i5 proc and a cheapish mobo. I like that idea.

In general. not really sure.

Knufire found a deal at microcenter for 250 flat for an Asrock Pro 4 m + 2500k. That'd be an awesome start and great buy if it's still available. I believe that was the deal.. Just going off memory.

Back