• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF3 upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Knufire found a deal at microcenter for 250 flat for an Asrock Pro 4 m + 2500k. That'd be an awesome start and great buy if it's still available. I believe that was the deal.. Just going off memory.

i thought it was a 3570k + pro4m for $300? or is the 2500k + pro4m a different deal. in which case i would save the $50 tbh and get the 2500k.

As i said before mate even buying off ebay your pretty safe getting a giga card tbh+ you have ebay buyer protection. Its a lot better nowadays!

if you are really working to a tight budget i would say going second hand might be the best way. idealy you rig would wanto to look like this

CPU: i5 2500k/i5 3570k

CPU cooler: again if you are on a budget either the cooler master hyper 212 evo or even cheaper the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283. Both cheap and will get you past the 4ghz mark on the 3570-k or 2500k ( probs even a bit higher on the 2500k)

Mobo: any z77 mobo (as long as you have all the right options in bios overclocking is all done via the multi now so expensive enthusiast mobos are being quickly redundant/ a waste of money)

GFX card: Try and pick up a 560ti that would be the lowest i would recommend to play bf3 @ 1080 with high settings.

RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ( im guessing this is the ram you have atm?)

Case: bah, wteva is cheap/ decent cable management

PSU: decent 500-600W ( corsair or OCZ are generally popular for lost cost reliable PSU's.)

HDD: 120gb SSD ( any will do, even the ocz vertex 3 as they have sorted the issues with stability etc in recent firmware upgrades, the corsair force series i also a good shout.D)

I know you a bit iffy about buying second hand but if you are pushing a pretty slim budget it might be the way to go. ( unless you have a microcentre nearby!) Both your gfx card and processor are things you can pick up dam cheap on ebay as long as you have a dig about. There are still plenty of deals about for 560ti's on ebay and if you get lucky you could pick up a 2500k for around $150.

Last edited:
An earlier page in this thread had the 2500k and the pro 4m z77. 250 ish. Best option probably. A used graphics card is a good idea. I wouldn't worry about an ssd. SSDs are still luxury items. For a basic gaming machine whilst it's nice to have, it's not required.

Ya he has Ram already.. I would start with the motherboard and CPU first, then graphics card. Providing your power supply is adequate. If not, PSU before graphics card.

The Antec One case is on newegg for 50 bucks plus a little on shipping. Decent enough case to be considered. Or for even cheaper the Cooler Master Elite 430. 40 bucks free shipping with 10 rebate! Sounds good to me ;).

I think Microcenter for the CPU and Mobo and then possibly Ebay for the 560ti. Microcenter is 8 miles from my home. I know they have cases cheap there so will check them also.

The deal is $50 off your purchase of any Z68 or Z77 board with a 2500K, 2700K, or a 3570K, so feel free to grab whatever CPU/Motherboard is in your budget, as you'll get a great deal anyway.

The deal is $50 off your purchase of any Z68 or Z77 board with a 2500K, 2700K, or a 3570K, so feel free to grab whatever CPU/Motherboard is in your budget, as you'll get a great deal anyway.

You guys are lucky to have access to such great deals...

You have NCIX with their fire sale days!!! Here in Aus. We have.... Nothing. LOL. :p

Ok you got me there... NCIX's sales are good (grabbed a g510 for $70 Saturday and 2 pairs of Sennheiser PC360 for $190 each a month or so ago) but for CPUs and motherboards, the best I've seen was a meager $20 off.

are you ever planning on overclocking your cpu?

if you are that is not a good CPU for it, since it has a locked multiplier. overall that combo gets a giant "MEH"

I use to run BF3 All Low with 20 Inch Monitor and get 30 40 FPS With my GT 440 and a i3 530 with 6GB of Ram

Im pretty much in the same boat as OP. But ive been looking into the 560 ti and the 550 ti even and im definitely going with the gtx 460 as the benefits of value using sli, once i upgrade my cpu and mobo and ram, seem awesome.

Much thanks to knufire and wingman99 for their insight too :thup:

Best of luck on your build op and i'd suggest not jumping the gun when it comes to purchases. Thats definitely what i'm trying to do.

2500k + Z77 motherboard. If you have Microcenter close by, you can get a heck of a deal (less than $300).

I had a 2008 setup with the Q6600 and nvidia 680i mobo. I am greatful because it did last for four years but wanted to upgrade my card and with that system it would bottleneck. Three weeks ago I upgraded to my new gaming rig (see signature, 670 arrives on thursday :clap: ) and yeah I only paid 184.99 for my 2500k with taxes included from microcenter. Planning on overclocking soon to atleast 4Ghz, i feel that 4.5 is just pushing it a lil bit.

Last edited:
Back