• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 needs cooling solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goodguy718

Hello,

I am having a problem with my 2 year old PC, i recently changed my PSU which luckily lasted a good amount of time I guess being as I've read it was a pretty bad choice to go with.

MY system:
OEM Intel i7-930 2.80GHz LGA 1366
Corsair 2GB 16,000MHz X3
ASETEK 570LX 240MM Water Cooler
GIGABYTE x58A-UD3R rev 1.0
Black AZZA Solano 1000
x2 ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR
Win 7 Home, premium.
< I want ultimate eventually.

The situation is I changed my APEVIA 800W PSU of 2 years, yestreday with the Corsair AX850. It's summer time so I am taking that into account here but my temps are ridiculously hi for me.

I was hitting 90c,100c,90c,87c on High Load on my cores it seems last night those are the reports as to my high temps, edit using real temp. Idle's at 50-60C, which I also don't like.

I've come to ask you guru's for help on cooling this PC as best as I possibly can, I haven't OC'd anything in this system and don't really plan to, I want cooling advice from some experts.

My room is the hottest room in the whole house without the PC on, I do have an AC and in the past summers I've kept it on to keep the PC nice an cool, does this always have to be the case?
I also have cleaned the entire Tower before installing the new PSU so it is not a dust problem.

I also think my water cooling system needs some maintenance but I am not sure.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Try reseating the cpu water block.

Be sure to clean off the old TIM with solvent and Q-tips, make sure its dry before applying some fresh TIM (I like PK-1).

Yep, sounds like you either have a bad mount on your watercooler or the pump is going out in it. Try remounting first and see if that improves temps. Like King said, clean the coldplate head of the pump/waterblock well with some solvent and wipe good with alcohol, then apply a quality thermal interface material such as the PK1, MX-2 or other premium type and remount the pump/waterblock assembly. That pump/waterblock assembly looks very much like the Corsair H70 pump assembly (which it should since Asetek made them for Corsair). When I mounted mine, I left the capture ring of the mount assembly pretty loose to allow me to insert the pump assembly into it without pressing it down into the TIM paste until after I rotated the pump assembly to where the locking lugs were engaged with the capture ring, then tightened everything down with a crosshatch pattern.

Thanks gents I have done what was suggested and I am now at 40-44c idle and 60-62c on 100% load.

Running 7 HDD's and both my GFX cards, would increasing the fans on the GFX cards help at all with air flow within the machine?
I have EVGA Precision.

I used Arctic Silver 5, I read their website on what to do with my machine and they said to create a vertical line and I did exactly that, It is spread across the top I checked.

It was my first time putting thermal compound in my PC so It was a new learning experience and I didn't have to redo the thermal compound to my surprise everything seems to be fine.

As I understand It some of you guys get some very load degree's, how does a novice such as myself achieve these low numbers?

Also how would I know if my pump is either failing or just not functioning at 100%?

Thanks for all your help thus far I am getting into this and wanting to do all that I can to do things right and get the best temperatures that I can with my machine.

Well if you were happy with it before but now your getting crashes and BSODS? You change your GPUs in the last while?

What changed? Did you all of a sudden learn about overclocking and change values? I did it, it happens. From a moped to a racecar with al the problems.

Did some fans go bad? Have you dusted your PC in the last two years?

There are a million questions I can ask.

Why don't you sit back and compose a well thought out full restart here with ALL the info we need. I'm sure we'll be asking lots more questions. Better info from you is a better quicker fix from you.

And Win Ulimate will not make your Winoz experiance any better.

Uhm I don't think I did anything Con.

My PSU was dieing and I was cleaning It and found a white wire inside the PSU looking aged and coming loose from It's surrounding seal here is an image of the problem:
apevia800wproblem.jpg

I saw my Temperatures were high after installing my new PSU and front panel fan that it would be best to look into some cooling solutions for the summer and beyond so low and behold I am here.

Right now I am glad I came, Murdoc and King have been super helpful and they already tagged one problem down for me the thermal compound on my CPU which cooled my PC some but I want to get as frosty as I can, right now It was a hot near 90F day today so I am pumping my AC right now and I am at 37 - 39c, if I was not pumping my AC I'd be at 50-60c at 27%-40% load which is not very good I take It.

Before all this, I touched my GFX fan speeds because before my PSU had problems I was still running hot, but I was using SpeedFan to tell me what my temps were and as of right now if I try to run speedfan v4.4 or v4.6 (I forget) my PC locks up, which It never did before, no biggie for me Real Temp is working.

I touched my GFX fan speeds then because I was running DayZMod and it was very GFX intensive and I wanted to do my best to keep my GFX cards cool, I've played for hours and never had a problem but still wanted to keep them cool. I game sometimes as this is a work/hobby/gaming PC.

I do video encoding sometimes, work with 3D GFX, and Game occasionally.
Hope this has been informative enough to get some more help.

The reason I want ultimate is to install more RAM for my Encoding/3D Rendering.
Thanks gents!

Edit:
For below this posts concern, my PSU's fan is blowing out of the Tower and it's a bottom mounted PSU.

Last edited:
Ok bro have a lot of factors with the reason of your high temp.

1st. If you change your PSU Remember what the new PSU have the extractor fan in lower side.. If your case is for the old structure and the PSU are in the upper side the flow air hot is going down directly to the processor..

2nd. Maybe in a bad movement the cooler of your processor get some space (1 mm) of your processor you get a lot of temp. Try disarm your cooler and use a new thermic paste for example thermaltake TG-1 and assemble again with much perfection..

Good luck and sorry for bad english..

Last edited:
Hello,

I am having a problem with my 2 year old PC, i recently changed my PSU which luckily lasted a good amount of time I guess being as I've read it was a pretty bad choice to go with.

MY system:
OEM Intel i7-930 2.80GHz LGA 1366
Corsair 2GB 16,000MHz X3
ASETEK 570LX 240MM Water Cooler
GIGABYTE x58A-UD3R rev 1.0
Black AZZA Solano 1000
x2 ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR
Win 7 Home, premium.
< I want ultimate eventually.

The situation is I changed my APEVIA 800W PSU of 2 years, yestreday with the Corsair AX850. It's summer time so I am taking that into account here but my temps are ridiculously hi for me.

I was hitting 90c,100c,90c,87c on High Load on my cores it seems last night those are the reports as to my high temps, edit using real temp. Idle's at 50-60C, which I also don't like.

I've come to ask you guru's for help on cooling this PC as best as I possibly can, I haven't OC'd anything in this system and don't really plan to, I want cooling advice from some experts.

My room is the hottest room in the whole house without the PC on, I do have an AC and in the past summers I've kept it on to keep the PC nice an cool, does this always have to be the case?
I also have cleaned the entire Tower before installing the new PSU so it is not a dust problem.

I also think my water cooling system needs some maintenance but I am not sure.

Thanks guys.

In my way ,l will choose the ARCTIC COOLING ACCEL-X-7970:sn: for my i7

Last edited:
Back