• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gtx 680 Overclocking clarifications

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dv0

Hi, i just bought a Palit 4gb gtx 680 jetstream.
I was wondering if the overclocking capability of the reference gtx 680 is affected in some way by the card's brand.

What i mean is: given exactly the same temps, will a gigabyte gtx 680 overclock higher than a sapphire?

Thanks

Nope. It all varies on the core. If you bought 10 Gigabyte/Galaxy/MSI/Sapphire cards they would all overclock to different speeds.

Oh ok then i guess it's all about luck?
Cause for example some years ago i bought an asus hd 5850 direct cu top and it needed 6+8 pin psu connectors instead of 6+6 of the other brands/reference board.
Given that i managed to overclock it like a beast and it was even faster than a 5870 by a fairly good amount(never going over 65c at full load).

I thought it was amazing and was thinking about buying the same type for the gtx680 but unfortunately the only 4gb version the shop had was the palit one.

More or less. My example was based off reference boards where all the same power components and such are used. Frequently MFG use custom PCB's with more robust power delivery sections among other things which help pushing the limits. But each MFG usually has their own, like the Direct CU II/Matrix versions from Asus, and Lightning/HAWK versions from MSI. But if there is a bunk core it doesnt matter how much clean power it gets.

You can have better luck with some brands more than others but if you're looking at an OEM piece the gamble is all the same. I got lucky with mine!, I'm at 1260/3515 and haven't really found a max yet @ 1.16

Last edited:
All the reference cards are made by Foxconn in china. They're quite literally identical other than the sticker(s).

Now when you get into the non-reference stuff things change somewhat.

Back