• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC component identification help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

Hi folks, got a small Parker OEM 750 stepper drive we had repaired. They replaced two SMD devices and a small cap. The tech repair sheet has the SMD devices on the sheet, but not the bigger cap.

So, looking for help on identifiying it. so we can save a few $100 and repair the next bad one ourselves.

Here is the specs on the SMD devices and a pic of them. The second is the mystery cap. I use Newark and think I got the SMD devices figured out.

SMD,RSTR,49.9k,1/8W,1%,1206PK The PK confuses me, is that a wide package?
SMD,CAP,CER,220pf,500V,5%,1206

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

Last edited:
Where's the pic?

I'm not sure what the "PK" denotes, but 1206 is a standard package size, so you can just look at the package and compare it to another 1206 to see if it means anything.

I don't see pics either.
1206 is a standard size, there's a sideways version of it too (with the solder on the long edges instead of the short edges), but that is the only variant I'm aware of.

I'd guess it's like this one.

I think the PK is where they cut off the PK10 (package of 10) by accident.

That's my guess too, it looks like the solder-on-the-sides are marked as 0612 instead of 1206.

Less than informative markings are less than informative. I'll see what I can find.

Were those two caps identical before one was replaced?

Last edited:
Ohh, I'll check a drive that went bad. Long ago we had power spike/outages and we lost lots of these, we bought new ones. Now we got big UPS in the $150,000 range to protect the control electronics. Newspapers ain't got the money we used to, and we repair other drives, just ain't figured out this one yet. We prolly have 20 of these bad, we just repair as needed. Thankfully we got the basic breakdown repair of our Indramat drives, they are a flat $6300 for repair, and it usually is two caps in the power side, they just dry up.

Ohh, we have 128 of these drives in operation daily. Just for SAG.

Update. Yep it's changed. Same cap as the top one (not replaced) on the bad drive.

The bad drive has the same cap as the one next to it. The repaired drive has a different value, unless the cap maker did a loop and change things, we see that stuff all the time.

I spent a while searching forums, pics, etc etc on the brand and type of cap. Geeze these folks make it hard.

Anyhoo, here is the pic, and suggest some forums that might help me. Having 20+ of these dead drives and being able to fix for pennies vs $250 would be a bonus. I'm a supervisor at a big newspaper and I don't expect a raise, tough business. But I'm 54 and expect to survive till it dies. Ahh Humbolt retirement, the green smell and the weather.

I'll try pic again tomorrow, no idea why phobck or this pace won't let me do it till the next day. Silly PC's, stoopid users. GRRR.

Last edited:
I haven't found anything either.
If we know it's 22 volts (have you measured the circuit while it's live? Assuming there isn't line voltage anywhere nearby...), the capacitance of a good one can be measured. The measurement wouldn't be exact, but it would be close enough to replace it.

The caps are nichicons.

one sec... CW series for the bottom.

http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/alm_chip/pict_f.htm

uh 22uF 35volt. Matches the older style nichicon cap numbering system above it.

That link has the breakdown for identifying them as well :)

I have been trying to learn how to identify the smaller SMDs but not a lot of luck yet.

EDIT Checked your new pick (you dont need url tags.. just the img tags). And yes those are old style labelled nichicon caps of the same values.

EDIT EDIT: Couldnt stop looking stuff up heres some SMD ratings

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/smdcalc.php

Looks like 4992 = 499*102Ohm=50Kohm

47R5 = 47.5 Ohm

1002= 10 kOhm
1004 = 1 MOhm

Last edited:
Thanks again Neuromancer.

Now to find a place that sells the 5mm wide, 6mm tall one. It's teeny. I use Digikey, Newark and ummm the other one. They don't list it. It's a small can for sure.

Think we are set. If your interested, the first post post goes into more depth on the other two parts.

Love to see a place and a list of the three part numbers I need to order, I'll prolly want 25 each to start, think we have that many bad old drives. Since I had 4 fixed this time and it was all the same parts, think the parts listed should fix 90% of the drives.

I love this forum, we got all sorts of folks with more brains than me.

Last edited:
Thanks, I tried on Mouser but picking the right search terms was fruitless. I'm an electronics guy, not an EE by any comparision.

I'll order them and the other two SMD's from Mouser.

you can get the part number from nichicon for the caps (which I already linked the right one so not needed)

for the SMD/T resistors, you can check your data sheets for the part number. Use the part# for searching at mouser (that was what I did for the cap) otherwise you will end up with pages and pages of results that you will have to refine/sort

the only have one SMD/T resistor in stock for those specs you listed (49.9kO, 1/8w 1% tolerance and 1206 package size)

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...Du0hFDxQQVjCQ%2bCD/sCzvcAAXtGfFGtzqb83qA7mOQ=

EDIT: note that the 4992 = 50.9 kOhm actually, although the paper specs call for 49.9

Last edited:
Alrighty, got them on order, I'll let you know in 2 weeks how it went, I'm going on vacation to Vegas! Well....... I live there and got relatives coming in.

Back