• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Low end cards comparison for HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

barackuda

Hello all....
I am building a scratch build HTPC for my bedroom.
Only think it will serve for, will be watching HD movies and series and documentaries stored on its HDD.

I have two GPU available at hand (old one from previous pc, newer one which was a quick replacement for broken card).
1st is Asus EAH5450 1GB DDR3 64bit SILENT
2nd is ENGTS 250 1GB

Which from these two is better for HD watching? I know both can handle 1080p... but which would you take? The newer one with supported HDMI audio out? Or the older one with better (noisier) cooling but without HDMI audio out? Actually this is no concern of mine, as i will be using pc speakers in bed room, so no receiver and no need for HDMI out.

Thank all for input.

Danny

Well that explains it all :)
thank you very much for graphic and clear explanation, I appreciate that you took the time to post this. thanks

Danny

I am observing the behavior of GTX 460 during gamin and during standard tasks and HD watching (met browsing, google sketchup etc..)
The temps during gaming are about 50 degrees.
The temps during the other are barely rising above idle, about 34 degrees.
If the more powerful card can handle it like this, I dont think i will hear the small fan ever revving up for cooling :)

Danny

Back