POST Code 21: PSU or MotherBoard?

Need some help guys. Got home, powered up, some slight flicker, and then just a blank screen.

Looked at the Award POST on my eVGA 780i which stayed at 21. Something to do with "Init. Heuristic Power Management". Unplugged all USB devices, even a graphics card, and two sticks of RAM, did resets on the BIOS still no boot, still 21.

I can't even get into BIOS to change power management options, but I wasn't overclocking voltage at all.

I think it's my 850 PSU, but it will light up, run the fans, and power lights on the board. My thought is I tasked out the PSU one too many times and it's giving up the ghost after 5 years, but would it even run? And since it runs would I have enough juice to power my system at half the equipment? Or is caputs altogether?

Or is it my motherboard not letting me even into BIOS?

Appreciate any help and advice. I'm thinking it's new PSU time.
    EVGA nForce 680i SLI 775 EVGA nForce 780i SLI 775
    Kingwin Lazer 1050 XCLIO 850
    4 x Ballistix 1G DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Quad
    3500 250 WD Corsair IDE
    5000 500 2.5 WD SATA
    2 x 7200 400 WD SATA
    2 x LiteOn Lightscribe DVD Drives
    2 x Nvidia 8800 GTX
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Light the thing off and check the voltages the PSU is putting out.
    All black wires are ground, stick the black wire of the multimeter into one of 'em.

All yellow wires should be 12 V, +/- 5%.
    All red wires should be 5 V, same 5%.
    All orange wires should be 3.3 V, 5% again.

If the 12 V rail (for example) were running around 9 V it would still run fans and lights, but the motherboard would probably not appreciate it much.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Well poopie.

I just spent 160 on a new power supply with modular cables, and tada it's not the power supply. I'm going to keep this one anyway just to be on the safe side. I've been on the edge with the 850 and my components.

Ended up searching around, Award POST 21 on my board seems to end in RMA's. I'm 5-6 years out of RMA so, I went into a deep depression. Started searching in vain for my 780i, hoping it would be cheap. Even on eBay still 150ish. Found a 680i within 15 mins of looking for 780, bought it for 16, altogether with shipping 31.

The new "older" board is currently what I'm typing on. Not the fix that I was hoping for, but it'll have to do. Maybe I can save up and venture out of 775 sockets. Just sucks my 780i's gone. I was bragging about it too.

I'm currently cleaning my 780i. Found out I was too happy with the thermal paste last time. Some of it got down into the CPU socket. Until I'll get it cleaned I won't know if that was what sent my board afry. I'm going to try the 780 once more before I completely let it go. But for now, I'm back to work again, and maybe planning for my next build. It has been 5-6 years. Anyone got any advice on paralleling six core i7's?

-BSM
    4 x Ballistix 1G DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Quad
    3500 250 WD Corsair IDE
    5000 500 2.5 WD SATA
    2 x 7200 400 WD SATA
    2 x Nvidia 8800 GTX
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Destroyer of Spammers, Trolls and Cretins

Premium Member #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSlimeMan View Post
    Well poopie.

I just spent 160 on a new power supply with modular cables, and tada it's not the power supply. I'm going to keep this one anyway just to be on the safe side. I've been on the edge with the 850 and my components.

Ended up searching around, Award POST 21 on my board seems to end in RMA's. I'm 5-6 years out of RMA so, I went into a deep depression. Started searching in vain for my 780i, hoping it would be cheap. Even on eBay still 150ish. Found a 680i within 15 mins of looking for 780, bought it for 16, altogether with shipping 31.

The new "older" board is currently what I'm typing on. Not the fix that I was hoping for, but it'll have to do. Maybe I can save up and venture out of 775 sockets. Just sucks my 780i's gone. I was bragging about it too.

I'm currently cleaning my 780i. Found out I was too happy with the thermal paste last time. Some of it got down into the CPU socket. Until I'll get it cleaned I won't know if that was what sent my board afry. I'm going to try the 780 once more before I completely let it go. But for now, I'm back to work again, and maybe planning for my next build. It has been 5-6 years. Anyone got any advice on paralleling six core i7's?

-BSM
    Blacky,

One time I too was generous with Arctic Silver on an AMD Opteron and some of it ran down one side into a few CPU pins: No post.

A thorough cleaning with a swab / pipe cleaner and alcohol (couple times) while cursing and swearing cured my blunder.
    Intel E8500 @ 3608 MHz...............Intel E7500 @ 3333 MHz Home Server
    DFI DK P45 T2RS Plus.................Same
    WD Velociraptor 150 & WD Raptor 74...Raptor 74 - Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    ATI 5750.............................ATI 6200FX
    Dell Ultra Sharp U2413.............. Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WA
    2 x 2 GB GSkill PC8500 @ DDR2 960....2 x 1 GB GSkill PC8500
    Corsair HX520........................Corsair HX520
    Coolermaster NV 690..................Lian-Li PC-K7
    Vista 64.............................XP Pro
    Experience teaches only the teachable.

Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    Blacky,

One time I too was generous with Arctic Silver on an AMD Opteron and some of it ran down one side into a few CPU pins: No post.

A thorough cleaning with a swab / pipe cleaner and alcohol (couple times) while cursing and swearing cured my blunder.
    That's what I'm hoping for too. Pipe cleaner is good for down in the pins? I'm having a fun time removing the paste in there. Dynex paste isn't very forgiving either. My system has been so good to me. I don't want to lose my original build this soon.
    4 x Ballistix 1G DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Quad
    3500 250 WD Corsair IDE
    5000 500 2.5 WD SATA
    2 x 7200 400 WD SATA
    2 x Nvidia 8800 GTX
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Registered
    Hi try some isopro (can't think of rest of letters) what you use for cleaning wounds etc same as whats in the cleaning tissues for cuts can get in a bottle from drug store is good for cleaning pc bits or ive acetone liquid i use for cleaning poo paste and heat sinks with.
    that will clean it for you.
    theres plenty of 775 boards around still im on a rampage formula ive a 680i EVGA one here in a box still.same one you have just got i think.
    So never fear your not alone.