• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock 970 Extreme 4 error 54

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

polacos

Hi. I have AsRock 970 Extreme 4, (all specs below) and recently from nowhere I start getting POST error 54 (meaning: Unspecified memory initialization error).

I check RAM for errors, none came out. Reset CMOS also nothing.

This error appears and after few resets it is gone.

Any ideas what the problem may be

Do you have the ram running at stock frequencies and voltages or is it overclocked? Have you run a long Prime95 blend test to check the ram?

If you haven't already, try updating the BIOS to the latest rev. 1.80. And assuming the 8GB kit is 2 x 4GB, which two DIMM slots are the modules installed in?

I have a similar problem with my asrock board. For some reason if I have ram installed in the first 2 slots the computer will not post, but if i use the last 2 the cmputer runs fine. Just try one dimm in different slots and see what works. A bios update might also help, but I think just some ram slots are going bad.

I know some will pounce on this and disagree with me but my experience is a lot of motherboards just don't like that 1.65 high voltage DDR3 ram. They are much happier with the 1.5v stuff. Try running the ram at 1333 and 1.5v.

And check the PSU caps for a precaution, in case they started bulging.

It likely has Capxon caps and it's hard to tell how they can hold up.

Some people report them sucking and others report them doing fine.

Unfortunately, the VP450s probably don't use Rubycon or United Chemicon.

So I have to keep checking them.

Sorry for absence. I was on holiday in Exmouth (WA) Australia and there was no connectivity to outside world.
redduc900@ I have 1.70 with the slot A2, B2 (Dual Channel RAM) as the total is
[A1][A2][B1][B2]
yunk3r@ I tried that, didn't work
trents@ also tried, also get the error, but in 1333 I also get Microcode Loading Error
RJARRRPCGP@ it has CapXon and Teapo caps and they look good.

For now after few restarts it works. As it is personal use machine it's ok. Thank you for help

Back