• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst won't install!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well the CPU and memory are fine, looks like the board.

Darn, I was hoping it was the video card instead. Now I'll have to take everything off the motherboard, pack it, and drive an hour to return it. :-/

I hope a new board will fix this. Will probably return it this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes with the new board.

At this point i would try to re-install window before you say its the mother board sometimes its as easy as re-installing framework.net and\or Microsoft Visual C++ at one point i had to do all three to get AMD drivers to install correct.

Also there is one last thing you can look into http://voyager8.blogspot.com/2012/04/solution-for-amd-catalyst-control.html

I did try reinstalling windows already. I should have tried reinstalling one more time before i packed it up but too late now. I already took everything out and packed it back up. Even though it doesn't appear to be a problem with the video card, I think I will stick with Nvidia next time.

I have very similar problem in my Laptop witch has ATI Radeon Mobility 5650 3d card. It also started when I attempted install Catalyst 12.6. Problem is about the same that starter of this thread describes.

I cannot install previous catalyst 12.4 it won’t install drivers I have used ATI uninstaller and Driver Sweeper to remove all ATI drivers stuff before trying to reinstall 12.4 but still no help. Before trying to install 12.6 Catalysts 12.4 worked and installed just fine. Now even older versions of ATI catalysts won’t install on my Laptop anymore.

Only AMD driver that installs and works is two years old release. This is most serious problem with ATI / AMD cards I have ever encountered. I seriously suggest if you haven’t installed 12.6 don’t install it. And also stay away from AMD cards in the future. I learned this lesson hard way. :(

Sadly I have attempted almost all things suggested in this thread with no help I have also run all possible memory, CPU and hardware diagnostics to see that my hardware and memory is not corrupted and all of them tell that hardware works perfectly fine.

Catalyst 12.4 Installation manager don’t seem to be able to detect that my laptop have ATI Radeon 5650 anymore so it won’t give option to install display drivers when I run it. I remember that starter of thread had this same problem too after trying to install 12.6.

Only way I was able to install at least some driver better than standard VGA I used Microsoft driver update from device manager and it installed some ATI Radeon 5650 driver that was released 2010.

How the AMD could release the driver that won’t install but also deny you chance to install and use older drivers anymore that worked fine before trying to install Catalysts 12.6. Well I think nobody answers to that. When I still had NVIDIA I never had this much or this serious problems to get things working or update drivers. *sigh*

I'm having the exactly same problem. Thank you all for your thoughts and information. Here is my story: I have ATI HD 6950. My computer is kinda new. I was first using 12.4 or 12.6 version. or something like that. That driver installation has not failed, as i remember. But when i tried to install new version (it was NOT 12.8) it failed over and over. I waited for a new version. 12.8 released. It also failed couple of times but somehow installed correctly. So i was using it. It was stable and everything was quite normal. But when i tried to install newer versions than 12.8, they all failed. I tried for like 10 times each :S anyway. Just yesterday, i decided to sweep driver and install from scratch. Downloaded 13.3 beta. Cleaned up drivers (NOT in safe mode) and now driver is gone, my screen has very big icons because of lower resolution :D So here is what i'm gonna do: I will open in safe mode, i will use ati driver sweeper (from ati website), i will clean registry with AVG Tune UP, and also i will uninstall C++ .net and other redistributable things. And finally start windows normal mode and i will try to drivers with this order: 13.3 beta, 13.1, 12.10, 12.8. At least, 12.8 was fine, i was using it so i think it should be installed without errors. And i will share my experience here. If none of this works, i think i will change motherboard.

ok i solved the problem. here is my road map:
1- Open Safe Mode
2- Uninstall Displa Driver in Device Manager
3- Remove all AMD products (carefull it includes chipset or others too) with AMD uninstall utility
4- Set User Accoun Control in User Accounts to lowest (this may not be necessary)
5- Open in normal mode
6- Celan up registry with AVG TuneUp or some other registry cleaner
7- Download most updated driver from AMD (make sure you download right version and model)
8- When you begin installation, it extracts the files to some folder ( generally C:\\AMD\blabla.. ) Close the installer after the extraction process is done.
9- Open device manager and fina vga adapter or devce or display device or something with exclamation mark
10- Right click and show folder to driver installation
11- Show the path of the extracted files. (C:\\AMD\blabla... ) Include sub folders !
12- Driver should be installed and restart computer (resolution must be corrected this time)
13- Run the AMD driver installer again (or setup.exe in the extracted folder)
14- Select Custom NOT EXPRESS
15- Uncheck Display Driver from the list because it has already installed. Just install others like Catalyst Control Center and the others.
16- After installation is done, download and install .Net 4
17- Restart computer and open up CCC. Under the software information you should see the version that you downloaded from AMD. For example the last one is 13.3 beta.
18- Enjoy :)

PS: Do NOT change your motherboard or graphic card :)

ok i solved the problem. here is my road map:
1- Open Safe Mode
2- Uninstall Displa Driver in Device Manager
3- Remove all AMD products (carefull it includes chipset or others too) with AMD uninstall utility
4- Set User Accoun Control in User Accounts to lowest (this may not be necessary)
5- Open in normal mode
6- Celan up registry with AVG TuneUp or some other registry cleaner
7- Download most updated driver from AMD (make sure you download right version and model)
8- When you begin installation, it extracts the files to some folder ( generally C:\\AMD\blabla.. ) Close the installer after the extraction process is done.
9- Open device manager and fina vga adapter or devce or display device or something with exclamation mark
10- Right click and show folder to driver installation
11- Show the path of the extracted files. (C:\\AMD\blabla... ) Include sub folders !
12- Driver should be installed and restart computer (resolution must be corrected this time)
13- Run the AMD driver installer again (or setup.exe in the extracted folder)
14- Select Custom NOT EXPRESS
15- Uncheck Display Driver from the list because it has already installed. Just install others like Catalyst Control Center and the others.
16- After installation is done, download and install .Net 4
17- Restart computer and open up CCC. Under the software information you should see the version that you downloaded from AMD. For example the last one is 13.3 beta.
18- Enjoy :)

PS: Do NOT change your motherboard or graphic card :)

Wow thats dedication man. I would have set the POS AMD GPU on fire about half way through that.

Anyways... I'm ALSO having AMD GPU issues. I'm trying to install an HD 5770 on a Q6600 system. Every time I try to run the Catalyst I get a failure error. To compound my frustration, the motherboard I'm using doesn't have on-board graphics. So I LITERALLY have to shut down the computer and swap to an old NVidia card every time I attempt to get it working.

So I have a couple questions (a couple hundred actually lol)... I'm very much a noob when it comes to GPU's so please forgive my lack of knowledge. The question is probably very basic/beginner to you guys... Unless you swap the cards in the middle, how do you download drivers and all of the catalysts for an AMD card when the AMD card wont display a picture? Is there a shortcut to dealing with swapping cards out each time? Basically... I'm using DVI out. Its really my only option as my monitor doesn't have HDMI or a display port. Is there a port that will work without any drivers or anything just for basic install/help or is swapping cards the only option when switching from an NVidia card to an ATI on an intel machine?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If your mobo doesn't have onboard video, Windows drivers should give you at least a low res display. I uninstall all AMD drivers before I install a new card, then do a fresh install of the drivers. I've never had a card Windows couldn't make work, even if just minimally until I could get drivers installed. Starting with a HD 5450 up to my RX 480.

Back