• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forget new features, Windows 8 will run 16-Bit Apps! RTM release 1st week of Aug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
EDIT: Awwwww what a let down. Turns out this feature is only present in 32-Bit version of Windows 8! It's not a feature at all. 16-Bit apps I wanted worked under 32-Bit Windows XP and Windows 7 anyway. :(
==================================================================================

That is only three weeks from now.

Hopefully it will be available on MSDN and TechNet shortly after Release To Manufacturing version is complete in the first week of August.

Control Panel > (on top right) Small Icons > 16-bit Application Support > Enable

The only reason I am still on 32-Bit Windows is because I couldn't run 16-Bit Apps on 64-Bit Windows. Finally I can switch to 64-Bit OS and still run old-skool apps!

Last edited:
Neat feature... for the 1% who may still run 16 bit apps?

Regardless, MetroUI /end game for me. :(

The only thing I can say is that Windows 7 hit the stores in October of 2009, it had no classic shell buttons and by November of 2009 we had a third party add on re-enabling them:

Toolbar.jpg

So why not Classic Desktop with Classic Start Menu with classic features add-on for Windows 8?

Someone like this guy should already be working on it: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/history.html

There is no way we are going to have Windows 8 without the ability to make it look like Windows 7.... eventually.

The only thing I can say is that Windows 7 hit the stores in October of 2009, it had no classic shell buttons and by November of 2009 we had a third party add on re-enabling them:

View attachment 112787

So why not Classic Desktop with Classic Start Menu with classic features add-on for Windows 8?

Someone like this guy should already be working on it: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/history.html

There is no way we are going to have Windows 8 without the ability to make it look like Windows 7.... eventually.

im running the classic shell on win8 in a vm here at work and it works great but i kidna digg metro but thats a whole different thread ;)

Right.

But all this time people were complaining about the interface and you're saying all the while the old Classic Shell add-on worked under Windows 8? That's great news.

I'm with you, they will either cave to buyer pressure and include a way of using 'classic' views as a display option, or someone will make one. I'm also thinking there will be a Win8 Pro for ARM tablets released sooner than later. Once that's a reality I'll be snagging an adequate tab, rooting, and adding win8 to it.

Three weeks and counting, just be careful with any leaked releases which may have malware already built in. Got to get RTM from MSDN or TechNet or other official Microsoft source.

See if you know a friend with access. Hopefully we can ReArm until October?

View attachment 112787

+1 no doubt. I will catch up with it if its worth it for benchmarking, or when that happens. :thup:

When it hits Technet Ill be all over it and start running benchmarks some synthetics and some games and see if there is any reason to go that way or not.

Neat feature... for the 1% who may still run 16 bit apps?

:D It's not the quantity...

I'll be curious to find out if there are any downsides to enabling this feature on a 64-Bit OS?

You can run a 16bit guest OS in a VM on a 64bit host OS. I wonder if they figured out how to do that running 16bit code within the 64bit OS in some kind of virtualization space without a VM?

The most important question here is: are there any downsides?

What does "enabling it" do to everything else?

Back