• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Interesting Question: Can You Get Temporary Internet Service

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

I had a friend ask me today a question that actually stumped me. They have a guest that's in town and they're letting them stay at on of their houses they have for sale. The house only has the basics, power and water, but no cable or internet. Is their a way to get "temporary internet service". It's early, I haven't had my caffeine, the hamster's not on the wheel, HahaHa! Any out of the box thinkers that have an idea?

You can sign up and cancel service at any time without being in a contract. That should do the trick?

best way i think.

without going further that is, you can have them scan for open wifi (but i highly suggest against it under legality)

other options could be cell service cards, or dial up service (yikes!)

I think that's going to be the best option, ISP's have a pretty decent install time for new service. I was just thinking in cellular terms, that she'd need to sign up for a contract or something. But most are month to month. I was more looking for something that may or may not exist, like withe iPad how you can turn on cellular and use the data for a month, but have that in say a USB dongle form?

(I always laugh when I read dongle, I'm such a child)

EDIT:
Answered my own question, found this magical device, where else, WALMART: T-Mobile 4G Prepaid Rocket USB Laptop Stick

Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited:
I own a CLEAR Spot:
http://www.clear.com/devices/spots

That is another option. No contract, just depends if you have coverage in your area. I've used it in the past when I travel, so I don't have to worry about wifi connectivity. Since usually I travel to big cities, I usually have good 4G coverage.

I used it at CES this year as well. I activated when I left for Vegas, and I canceled when I got home - they actually refunded me so the week of service even turned out to be free.

Back