• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Info] NH-D14 Cooler installed - Results inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eitama

Disclaimer: I am not a pro overclocker, but my CPU reached around 100Degrees, And GPU 90 Degrees Celsius, so I decided to act!

Hello,

I am sharing the info here because I found out a lot of stuff that I wanted to know before my own installation but couldn't find - So I am sharing for others.

Setup:
H55M-S2H Gigabyte motherboard
Core i5 750
2 X 4GB Ripjaws F3-17000CL9-4GBXM - G.Skill
EVGA - GTX 590 Classified
Thermaltake V9 Gaming case
Chieftech 750W PSU - Modular

So, Why is this interesting.
1. I am able to run the Dims at 1860Mhz after full night, stable.
2. CPU is at 3.2GHz stock voltage before turbo boost.
3. Everything fits inside the case
4. The motherboard is loaded and there is 0 space left to move, but everything works!

What changed?
1. I change the memory last week to the ripjaws, then my Arctic Freezer 7 wouldn't fit anymore.
2. So I got the NH-D14, Fits perfect, but block the upper PCI-E slot, luckily there are two of them.
3. The PSU holds everything nicely.

Temps:
1. CPU - Idle = 35-39~ depending which core. (Celsius)
2. CPU - Load with Prime95x64 = 60-65 depending which core.
3. GPU - idle around 50, load in BF3 or benchmark apps, 80 Max after 3 hours.
4. Ambient temp is around 25
5. Also in the case - HDD, SSD, CDROM.

Q: I had lots of open questions, will the NH-D14 fit with that specific memory?
A: Yes! there is like 0.5MM space now between the heatsink and the memory heatsink.

Q: Will PSU hold all?
A: YES!

Q: Is it quite?
A: Well, most of it. GPU can get noisy, but not terrible.

Q: Can I use NH-D14 if I use 2 X GPUs? (ATI)
A: No. the top Slot is rendered useless.

How does it look like:
254wme0.jpg

You could use two gpu cards on an ATX. Gigabyte ATX board leave slot 0 untenanted. You only have such problems on your mATX board.

AC Freezer Pro 7 is not an adequate cooler. That's why I retired mine.

Your rig looks great. Too bad it's rather late to buy an ATX board for your CPU.

You could use two gpu cards on an ATX. Gigabyte ATX board leave slot 0 untenanted. You only have such problems on your mATX board.

AC Freezer Pro 7 is not an adequate cooler. That's why I retired mine.

Your rig looks great. Too bad it's rather late to buy an ATX board for your CPU.

Thanks for the input, I didn't even know that my board is mATX, but it makes sense. Regarding Core i7 / More expensive board,
When I bought my PC a year ago, Going higher to Core I7 + Triple Channel + Better Motherboard was a jump of around 400$, I didn't really feel like doing it.
And to be honest, with the GTX 590, I don't need any more power. It's all the power I need :)
Only thing that bugs me is that it's already at 80 Degrees under load.
So I can't OC it + 590 are known to die when Voltage is increased...
I know there is some volrage protection, but as I am just not willing to take chances on this beast. I get 60 FPS in BF3 @ Max everything most of the time.

I want to go higher on the CPU clock, but Gigabyte have complicated the bios to a state where I just said to myself : "F*** it..."

:)

Thanks for the input, I didn't even know that my board is mATX, but it makes sense. Regarding Core i7 / More expensive board,
When I bought my PC a year ago, Going higher to Core I7 + Triple Channel + Better Motherboard was a jump of around 400$, I didn't really feel like doing it.
And to be honest, with the GTX 590, I don't need any more power. It's all the power I need :)
Only thing that bugs me is that it's already at 80 Degrees under load.
So I can't OC it + 590 are known to die when Voltage is increased...
I know there is some volrage protection, but as I am just not willing to take chances on this beast. I get 60 FPS in BF3 @ Max everything most of the time.

I want to go higher on the CPU clock, but Gigabyte have complicated the bios to a state where I just said to myself : "F*** it..."

:)

Gigabyte's BIOS is simple. It lets you monkey with each setting individually. You just have to learn what settings to try.

Primers here, and especially here. Those are guides aimed at least in part at the i7 860/870.

I used Miahallen to get my BCLK up to 232MHz (stunt), my i7 860 up the 4664MHz (stunt) and 4004GHz (stable). His is really the best guide. And now having used both the Gigabyte and the Asus BIOS's for 860's and an 875k, I'd say the Gigabyte is a far better BIOS.

Back