• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-2500k "Safe" voltage at 4.7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Davidleebjr

Just curious as this was a super quick OC

got i5-2500k to 4.7ghz on voltage 1.44 :(

Bsod'e every hundredth from 1.35 up to 1.44 which became stable

Running on Asus p8z68-v Pro / Gen 3 100 Bclk multiplier 47 (I know it was a quick OC the "youtube" easy way. Temps are 46c prime 95 running 30 minutes now

any tips for getting my voltages down? Is 1.44 too high for 24/7 OC ????? (no hardcore gaming right now)

Thanks....

If you haven't tried tuning the other voltages, I suggest that you try. Vcore alone is not an end all be all solution in overclocking Sandy Bridge. Spend some time and try adjusting everything. As far as a "safe" 24/7 voltage, I would say 1.46v-1.5v if you have cooling that can support this. 1.46v is what I shoot for on a daily overclock on SB. Hope this helps.

If you haven't tried tuning the other voltages, I suggest that you try. Vcore alone is not an end all be all solution in overclocking Sandy Bridge. Spend some time and try adjusting everything. As far as a "safe" 24/7 voltage, I would say 1.46v-1.5v if you have cooling that can support this. 1.46v is what I shoot for on a daily overclock on SB. Hope this helps.

those V's are a bit high, but then again your only running 46c @ full load? that seems crazy low! i wouldnt worry too much

1.4-1.45 would be my limit. I've seen degradation come quickly in ONE case at 1.5v no matter what cooling.

No voltage should outside of vcore except perhaps pll override would matter. Try enabling that and see if u can lower it then

1.4-1.45 would be my limit. I've seen degradation come quickly in ONE case at 1.5v no matter what cooling.

No voltage should outside of vcore except perhaps pll override would matter. Try enabling that and see if u can lower it then

tbh i wouldnt have thought you wouldn't need more than 1.45 for 4.7/8 ghz. you should be able to tweak it. Just keep lowering it one knotch at a time and prime. wait till it fails, whack it up one more knock etc. You might even find you can get under 1.45. @ 4.8 ghz i can run stable @ 1.37, for 5ghz without HT i have to go to 1.45. I'm debating whether or not this is worth it 24/7. *ponders*. I also have HT off the majority of the time cos it screws with BF3.

+ 1 for ppl override. Should help your volts from fluctuating too much at load. Although i thought that a high ppl could also cause issues/ be potentially damaging? :confused:

Pll is not llc. Llc help stabilize voltages...but that us a good point and can help depending on how had his droop is.

Llc is not damaging, Nope.

Pll is not llc. Llc help stabilize voltages...but that us a good point and can help depending on how had his droop is.

Llc is not damaging, Nope.

ooo my bad confusion my end.blood TLA's haha. Yer i think once hes dropped his V's to the point where he is priming stable for a little while but then getting crashes/BDOS then i suppose a LLC tweak might help.

Thanks for the info

Sorry it took so long to reply.... Been out and about and also the new toy came..

my first smartphone (LOL) and I went right to the top with a :

GalaxyS3.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S3 ---- didn't realize I could get lost in a world of droid apps for the last week.

I'll get back to the OC issue soon.... this baby has been running stable 24/7 at 30c

I think my cooling is above and beyond adequate considering i have the central air ducted into an old modded stereo rack

The house was FREEZING the other night but system was running at 24 celcius..

Thanks again guys for the info... back to the OC'ing soon as I get this new DROID toy under control

picture.php

:thup:

Last edited:
I actually wondered if 1.4 will cause degrading. I thought that was dangerous for anything later than 65nm.

It really depends on the chip. I have run my 2500k up to 1.675v on water for benching (4-5+hour sessions), and it is still alive and doing fine 24/7. I remember hearing that some of the 1156/1366 processors were dropping like flies with higher voltage.

Been running 1.488v on my i7-2600k now since I purchased it (bought it the day they released, January 2010??).

Still alive and kickin'!

Been running 1.488v on my i7-2600k now since I purchased it (bought it the day they released, January 2010??).

Still alive and kickin'!

I think i'm gonna keep mine @ 1.445 for awhile... 24/7 temps on liquid hang at 32c drop to 28's when a/c is coolin the house during these days of drought and heat on the far west border of PA.

Not going for any records and it has enough speed for every day puting...

It really depends on the chip. I have run my 2500k up to 1.675v on water for benching (4-5+hour sessions), and it is still alive and doing fine 24/7. I remember hearing that some of the 1156/1366 processors were dropping like flies with higher voltage.

my 920 was @ 4ghz at a pretty hefty voltage ( forgotten exactly) for around 3 years, My mate now has it, and its still going strong!

:thup:

Back