What does CPU PLL voltage do?

What does CPU PLL voltage do?
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

Premium Member #13

This is the voltage used by the clock multiplier circuit inside the CPU

copied from rgone in another post

CPU Phase Locked Loop (PLL)
    The default PLL voltage is 1.8 V, and Intel’s absolute maximum for this is 1.98 V, but you shouldn’t need to get anywhere near that. Intel’s new i7, i5, and i3 CPUs don’t require much of an increase in PLL, so you can probably get by increasing it to at most 1.9 V
    Alot of Ivy Bridge actually like around 1.5 - 1.7 on the PLL voltage for improved clocking. Especially memory clocking.

this is from overclockers.co.uk

from masterslayer.com

CPU Phase Locked Loop (PLL)

This option can be used to stabilize the CPU at high BCLKs. Some people need to change this, and some don’t. You may need to start increasing this once you get to a BCLK of around 180 – 200.

The default PLL voltage is 1.8 V, and Intel’s absolute maximum for this is 1.98 V, but you shouldn’t need to get anywhere near that. Intel’s new i7, i5, and i3 CPUs don’t require much of an increase in PLL, so you can probably get by increasing it to at most 1.9 V.

weird some contradicting data google gives me
    rig-NZXT source 210 elite --serv-- norco 270 2u---------------htpc-apex htpc case
    2500k 4.5ghz 1.3v------------------ opteron 2419 6-core-------------------i3-2120
    p67-ud4 ------------------------------ h8dmi-2 --------------------------- gigabyte h61
    8gb gskill 2x4 1600 --------4x4gb samsung ddr2 ECC -----------1x2gb ddr3 1600
    xfx r9-280x black ----------------- onboard -----------------------------------HD 5450
    corsair hx850-------------------------antec vp-450----------------------------------275w came with case
    custom loop --------------------------socket f 2u passive ---------------------stock intel cooler
    win 7x64------------------------------server 2012 r2 datacenter--------------win 7 64 bit
    steam user name : Wagex (you happy bro?) HEAT
    "You can't get magical Harry Potter temps with big overclocks, PHYSICS has a lot to do with it." -conumdrum

Thanks. I've gone from 1.5-1.8V on an e2200, and doesn't seem to be making any difference.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.