Gearing up for serious HTPC use?

Hey guys,

Lately i have been getting all excited about Apple TV.

I dont own it, and it looks like i wont need to own it anyway.

Heres how things are. I have a PC that i made for HTPC use, but, i never actually got around to setting it up for HTPC use, since i needed to get a TV tuner for my cable to run on it.

So i just used it for movies (windows media player) and browsing internet on my tv and friends used it at a normal pc, with keyboard and mouse when they are over.

This has got to stop now! I finally got around to learning about all this stuff, and found that i really like XBMC. So im going to run that on my htpc, buy a damn tuner and get all my channels setup on it.

This brings questions?

1. Which tuner? I know it needs to have DVB-C since i run cable, but it has to be a digital one to get the HD channels on the cable i would presume? (If any danish people are lurking, its for Yousee Cable use)

2. How hard is it to get a Logitech Harmony remote to work with this? Dont want to buy one until i know for sure?

3. I am rambling on about XBMC, but is there a better one? If yes, which and why should i change my mind since i do like XBMC.

Thanks
    Daily Gamer Enthoo Primo
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz w/ EK Supreme - Asus Maximus VI Formula - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz CL9 - Corsair AX1200 - 3x Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X 6Gb w/ Heatkiller GPU-X
    Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb - Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb - Seagate Thin SSHD 500Gb

Lan Rig Bitfenix Prodigy White - Watercooled mATX
    Intel i5 2500K @ 5Ghz w/ EK Supreme LT - Asus Maximus V Gene - 2x Gigabyte GTX670 OC w/ EK 680GTX Block
    8Gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 - OCZ Octane 2.0 64Gb SSD - Kingston Vseries 128Gb SSD - Corsair AX750 - Samsung 50"
    Benching Rig
    Intel Pentium G3258 - AsRock Z87m OC Formula - G.Skill 1600mhz 2x2Gb - Intel 80Gb SSD - EVGA SuperNova G2 1300
    My guide to cleaning waterblock

XBMC doesn't have any video recording capability. You can't watch live tv with XBMC alone. You will either need a PVR build or use alternate software. Mediaportal, Windows Media Center, and GBPVR (NextPVR) are a few you can try. It also all depends on what you are trying to record from (cable, FIOS, Satellite).
    EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."

Quote Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK View Post
    XBMC doesn't have any video recording capability. You can't watch live tv with XBMC alone. You will either need a PVR build or use alternate software. Mediaportal, Windows Media Center, and GBPVR (NextPVR) are a few you can try. It also all depends on what you are trying to record from (cable, FIOS, Satellite).
    Okay.

Well, what i want to do is, watch regular TV, and also tv over the internet. XBMC has most of what im looking for, but i can its not the complete solution.

I want to run linux on the rig, and just have boot straight into media software.

I know that one of my neighbours uses windows media center, but i would really to be able to add online viewing places like, Veetle and flashsportstream.

I have alot of thinking and testing to do i think.
    Daily Gamer Enthoo Primo
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz w/ EK Supreme - Asus Maximus VI Formula - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz CL9 - Corsair AX1200 - 3x Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X 6Gb w/ Heatkiller GPU-X
    Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb - Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb - Seagate Thin SSHD 500Gb

Lan Rig Bitfenix Prodigy White - Watercooled mATX
    Intel i5 2500K @ 5Ghz w/ EK Supreme LT - Asus Maximus V Gene - 2x Gigabyte GTX670 OC w/ EK 680GTX Block
    8Gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 - OCZ Octane 2.0 64Gb SSD - Kingston Vseries 128Gb SSD - Corsair AX750 - Samsung 50"
    Benching Rig
    Intel Pentium G3258 - AsRock Z87m OC Formula - G.Skill 1600mhz 2x2Gb - Intel 80Gb SSD - EVGA SuperNova G2 1300
    My guide to cleaning waterblock

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre3400 View Post
    Okay.

Well, what i want to do is, watch regular TV, and also tv over the internet. XBMC has most of what im looking for, but i can its not the complete solution.

I want to run linux on the rig, and just have boot straight into media software.

I know that one of my neighbours uses windows media center, but i would really to be able to add online viewing places like, Veetle and flashsportstream.

I have alot of thinking and testing to do i think.
    If you want to run linux and record tv then MythTV will be your best bet. XBMC doesn't record TV, but uses a backend software that does record TV and get a PVR build of XBMC. I tried one for windows and it was ok, but not all that great.
    EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."