• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used to think that you were kinda over doing the heatsink on everything bit when you put one on your soundcard BUT now that I have my rig outside of the case I wondered if there were any truth to your claims so I touched the EMU10K 1 - NEF on my SoundBlaster Live! and I was greeted with a VERY HOT chip:eek: Thanks for bringing this to my attention even if it is 7 months late that I checked.

Anybody else with the same issues? I still dont think its normal but I will be putting a heatsink there now. Yes it is hot enough that you will not be leaving your finger there for more than 5 seconds. All I can say now is "WTF?" is causing this:mad:

Sonny - A while back after a little alcohol, i removed the heatsink from the SB Live, and did some retesting. I ended up redoing it with the same Rage 128 sink with Arctic Silver adhesive this time. Worked perfectly. I did overdo it a bit with the swiftech and video card though :/ It's good to see people read my 7 month old posts lol.

For anyone that needs updated procedure (its not hard :/ )
1. Get small heatsink, like the default sinks on Rage cards.
2. Get Arctic Alumina Adhesive (I used silver for the Ther. Cond.)
3. Apply in a 1/1/1 Arctic Alumina/AAAA/AAAB mix, and let sit for a day.
4. Use Sound Blaster. It now has a heatsink. Yay.

Ill U/L pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
I had a devil of a time searching for it since it wouldnt show up by searching the key words " soundcard overheating". This thread stuck in my head since I thought it was BS, hehehe;) Now about that LCD mod of yours..... LOL:D

soundcard overheating

Lol... hmm. Dang... I need a new CPU lol.... my *new* 1.8a from the beginning of this thread is now dead, broken pin... that should go in intel forum. I just thought of a great idea: A water cooled sound card. And while we are at it, a water cooled CD and Floppy drive, and maybe the monitor >:)

*edit*
Soundcard Overheating

i dunno what to say... both antman and sonny is amazing

one digs an 7 month old thread...
one OC like no one has done before.

I have a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card and I dunno if it is hot or not... I am in the middle of moving to water cooling... I have a cpu block... NB block and and GPU block... now... after looking at this thread, it means me want to look for a APU block.... LOL.... this world is crazy .... have a :beer: on me.... by the way... nice job done on lappy that Gforce3 card to show the copper surface... it makes me want to lap my Gforce3 card...

Back