• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wait or upgrade Coolermaster V8 for Ivy 3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musicfan

Hi. I need CPU HSF air-cooler advice please.

Recently completed an Ivy 3570k on an ASUS P8Z77-V inside an Antec P183 case. For the HSF air-cooler, I used my old Coolermaster V8 air-cooler. From a 2008 review, it cools close to an original Coolermaster Hyper 212. After getting the 1155 kit from Coolermaster, the V8 mounted easily, I cross-tightened all nuts to max and used AS Matrix TIM (OK stuff but long cure). With Real Temp, cores idle "below ambient" from Intel Speed Step. But loaded to 100% with Prime 95 or LinX, core temps are 55 to 59°C. My room ambient is always high around 25°C to 27°C.

Don't plan any OC...for now. The stock load temps seem safe but are they higher than they should be? Does the V8 need remounting or modding (additional or new fan?) or is the V8 HSF outdated?

The Antec P18x series are not high-air flow cases (understatement) but the new owner likes the looks and quiet. The top & rear exhaust are built-in manual Antec Tri-Cool 3 speeds. 1200 rpm speed is great; but middle speed (1600?) gets noisy and top speed around 2000 rpm very loud. I tweaked the 2 front intake fans and V8 fan with ASUS software so they are quiet at idle but fast and loud (nearly 2000 rpm) as the CPU rises above 40°C.

I am puzzled. Intel says Tcase_max is 67.4°C at 77W TDP with the Intel stock cooler presumably. But I don't know how Tcase translates to core temps. Some things say Tcase is at least 6°C lower than Tcore. Perhaps that means the V8 still works better than an Intel stock cooler? :D

Other factors are fans mods to the old V8 can cost similar to a new Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. If I go new, the V8 height is 158 so a 159 mm tall would be maximum height for the P183. I don't use the DIMM slot next to CPU so going wide would be OK.

With the current temps and no OC, what do you advise? Can I sit tight with the V8? Do a V8 fan mod and how? Or go with a new HSF cooler - what type? Thanks. :)

The stock load temps seem safe but are they higher than they should be?
Who knows... too many variables to accurately say...

That said, those load temps are just fine. Just go by what RTemp says and leave on what you have. That CPU is good into the 90s.

Back