• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the 3770K (help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

My system is listed in my sig.

I have a Corsair H100 and my 3770k idles in the low 40c's.

Under Intel Test Burn V2, at 100% load, my temperatures go to a high of 75c-85c/86c.

I guess coming from previous i5/i7 chips, this automatically raises red flags in my mind as being way too hot for comfort.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what I could do differently for cooling or how I can set the overclock settings in BIOS to get lower temps?

I will try Prime95.

I have everything running normal in the ASUS BIOS, with a max of 4.4GHz (with turbo I believe).

Are these temps "normal" for Ivy Bridge?

Is there any other cooling solution more powerful/effective than the H100 (air or liquid)?

Full-on watercooling will help 10C probably, but that is a total big guess. At least you can make it quiet.

Top quality 140x3 rad setup would be fine, about $300 and very quiet.

EDIT: You could go phase cooling, learning how to insulate the mobo, spend $500-$1000 and have temps in the -50C range. Noise and a big electricity bill to boot.

In the other mad scientist sub-forum.

Last edited:
I have the prodigy, which is pretty small ITX case.

Is there a custom setup that would fit in the case that is more effective than the H100?

Depends how creative you want to get with modding. Look at the MAX11LV3 or something, it's Miahallen's latest miniITX build.

Back