• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16.7 Million Colors: IPS vs TN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darkwizzie

Registered
Hey guys.

I read about the Yamakasi Catleap from this forum. (Thanks, guys!) Both this and many TN monitors of today claim to be able to display 16.7 million colors. I've read somewhere that the TN monitors are STILL not actually 8 bit displays, but 6 a bit display with crazy dithering and then rounded up to 16.7 million.

So my questions:

1) Does the TN monitors actually have an 8-bit display?

and,

2) If 1 is true, IPS will still have better color, or not? I know about the viewing angle, but looking straight ahead, is what I mean.

Thanks in advance! :attn:

Edit:
One more quick and probably irrelevant question:

With SLI 8800GT 512mb, will I stand a chance at all to play Skyrim at 2560 x 1440 resolution, with AA off?

Tn, and e-ips panels use 6bit plus dithering. I dont see you playing skyrim at 2560x1440 with only 512mb of vram. I use more than 2gigs with just 2x aa.

The Catleap looks like a full-blown IPS panel, not an E-IPS. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I guess I'll just have to lower the resolution for Skyrim.

Yes, its regular ips, the same lg panel that goes into the apple cinema display, just with different/inferior controller hardware and no warranty to speak of. I love mine though, awesome screen made even better by the price.

Yes, its regular ips, the same lg panel that goes into the apple cinema display, just with different/inferior controller hardware and no warranty to speak of. I love mine though, awesome screen made even better by the price.

Thank you very much for the help! Most appreciated. :D

Does the Catleap without an 'adboard' allow me to crank down the resolution ingame? Bigclothcraft said that it only outputs at max resolution.

When hooked to a pc with dual link dvi, yes you can turn down the resolution and the gpu will scale the image to fill the screen. Using a non computer source doesnt work well, if at all.

Back