• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sona11111

Hello I have been repairing computers and such for a while but this may be the first time i would try watercooling. (unless you guys convince me otherwise)

I just got a gtx 590 for folding. (meaning it runs at full load constantly) The seller was using a waterblock (included with purchase) and apparently slapped the stock cooler back on without using any paste. so it crashed for me before i even had a chance to try it out. I took it apart, cleaned with alcohol and put a layer of artic silver on it. I have dont this before but either it is insufficient for running at full load or i did something wrong because it still reaches 95 degrees. (full fan speed antec 900 case with all 5 fans installed great circulation)

I am considering using the included waterblock but i have never tried water cooling before. Whatever system i get i would only need it to cool the 590, the cpu has a zalman air cooler that works great. Any suggestions on where to start or other solutions would be helpful, thanks.

Water cooling is going to be a lot of work and a bit of money to do properly. You could certainly go this route, but it sounds like overkill for what you want to do.

If you have a camera, remove the cooler and take (good) pictures of the thermal paste spread on the heatsink and the card.

95C isn't that bad for folding really. It's a very hot card. Do they even make an aftermarket cooler for it?

Watercooling will be easy $200+. The block alone is I think $110, add $80 pump, $70 rad, $60 in tubing and fittings. You can cheap with some lesser known stuff, saving $50 or so.

well, thank you for your advice guys, but it seems it was just a case of my reacting too quickly. As of today the temps are at a constant 87, i guess that the paste "Settling" really does matter more then i thought.

Does the fan go to 100% at those temperatures?

It may be a good idea to still check the paste, those temperatures seem high. The die on the substrate for video cards are much larger than processors, and they do not have an IHS. This means you have to get paste on the entire core since there isn't anything to spread the heat before it goes to the heatsink. If you remove the cooler, there should be no bare spots on the chip.

i set the fan to 100 (95 for some reason is the highest) manually.

I re applied the thermal paste a little more then i guess was needed, but it did cover the entire chip. (or rather, two chips)

Back