• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212 Plus on a M5A97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ious

Registered
Hey guys.

First, I know how to install a Hyper 212 Plus, but this problem I have with helping my friend install one is kind of...

Interesting...

I've never run across this problem before. Also, when I try to look it up, there isnt anything regarding this problem.

So, the motherboard is a Asus AM3+ M5A97. The nuts and bolts and backplate are all secured. The thermal paste is on, the heatsink is on...

But the screws on the retention bracket are too high to reach the holes on the bolt.

I tried screwing some in, and the most I ever got to were 2 screws on the same side, not diagonally.

Solutions?

If it is like the 212 EVO it comes with 2 different stud kits.
1 set is shorter for a particular Intel socket.

On my AM3+ it was close and I had to use some pressure to get the bracket screws started.

I am having this exact same problem with the Hyper 212 EVO with the M5A97 motherboard. The screws on the retention bracket do not seem to be long enough to reach the risers. I have double and triple checked I am using the correct risers and the backplate appears to be installed correctly. I would be able to get the screws started if I exerted a considerable amount of pressure but this struck me as a bad idea. I was curious if a solution was found. Failing that has anyone forced the riser screws to get them started and if so what was the result?

Guys I notice the same issue with the one I got. I did notice though you got to make sure you have the inside bracket set correctly like the instructions saids. Then start on one side but before you screw the one across the other side make sure it is perfectly center. Then put a bit of pressure down. Don't worry you will not crack your CPU unless you got that center bracket the wrong way which the instruction will tell you if it is or not.

I have to swap the CPU this Friday with a new one I order so I can take some picture and show you guys if that helps. ;)

Thanks! I did some more research and turns out the retention bracket is known for certain sockets to have this issue. I took some pliers and bent the bracket arms slightly and got the cursed thing installed. The fit was still tight but doable. So far things look good I ran some stress tests and the temps were fine.

Back