• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling a Gtx 570 SC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pro_Up

Registered
I was doing research on watercooling my cpu and my gpu and I need some help on a good watercooler. I was thinking of a H80 for my Cpu and H60 for my gpu. Yes, you can put a h60 on a video card... Any suggestions?

Not worth the hassle. If you want to water cool, then do it right and go custom. But that is just my $.02, and take it as you may. And using a h60 for the gpu, you will still need ramsinks for the memory on the card and the mosfets with a fan to cool them as well.

I'm thinking of buying a Gtx 580 backplate for my 570 because it's the same arch so it will fit anyways so I can watercool it. I do want a good quiet watercooling setup. At Newegg they do have Thermaltake CLW0211 Bigwater 760 Plus Dual Bay Drives Water Cooling Core i7 Compliant which is universal, so it will work on my phenom II. Many reviews say this does not leak from the radiator or does not have much leaking problems. I don't have much knowledge on Watercooling but I do realise I could just go the easier way then having a complex Water cooling kit. I rather Air cool my cpu on a Coolermaster v8 but I do wanna watercool my video card soon. If you know a good amount please share some info for me.

The Thermaltake all in one liquid coolers are generally junk, sticking with the Corsair units is the best option.

Only the H80 and H100 are really worth the money. The lower end models can be beat out by air heatsinks for the same price. If you can fit a Phantek cooler in your case, you can probably beat the H80 in price performance too. I would really only recommend these coolers if you have a very hot running CPU. If you don't, it's a bit of a waste, as you don't really get the all benefits of real watercooling (in real watercooling, you can overkill performance to make it really quiet, doesn't work the same way with sealed units).

The H60 probably won't do too well on a GPU since it's already an average CPU Cooler, and GPUs put out more heat. Your best GPU cooling options are probably the Arctic Cooling Accelero. Either the Extreme, which is reviewed on the front page, or the hybrid, which is a combined air/liquid cooler. I haven't seen many reviews on it, but in general Arctic Cooling makes some good products.

If you have the money and the time, you might enjoying diving into real watercooling. It does cost more and requires periodic maintenence, but you can make it performs as great as you want and run as quiet as you like.

The Thermaltake all in one liquid coolers are generally junk, sticking with the Corsair units is the best option.

Only the H80 and H100 are really worth the money. The lower end models can be beat out by air heatsinks for the same price. If you can fit a Phantek cooler in your case, you can probably beat the H80 in price performance too. I would really only recommend these coolers if you have a very hot running CPU. If you don't, it's a bit of a waste, as you don't really get the all benefits of real watercooling (in real watercooling, you can overkill performance to make it really quiet, doesn't work the same way with sealed units).

The H60 probably won't do too well on a GPU since it's already an average CPU Cooler, and GPUs put out more heat. Your best GPU cooling options are probably the Arctic Cooling Accelero. Either the Extreme, which is reviewed on the front page, or the hybrid, which is a combined air/liquid cooler. I haven't seen many reviews on it, but in general Arctic Cooling makes some good products.

If you have the money and the time, you might enjoying diving into real watercooling. It does cost more and requires periodic maintenence, but you can make it performs as great as you want and run as quiet as you like.

Thanks for the help man. I am looking into the H80 and the Coolermaster V8. Idk which one to get... Any ideas?

What CPU/what are you trying to OC to?

I'm looking into intel ivy bridge at the moment. I don't have the money to blow on a all out watercooler so I'll probably just keep that on hold. For Christmas I probably will get a 2700k sandy bridge or 3770k ivy bridge. I do realize the ivy bridge is more overclockable then the sandy bridges because of new 28nm tech. Which is better for the money? I doubt I will need an 3770k at 5ghz. A 2700k would run fine for future decisions. What do you think? Or should I wait for piledriver 8320 by amd to be announced in q3? I hope it not as much of a fail as bulldozer fx...

Even if Piledriver lives up to the rumors, it will have a similar IPC (performance when core count and clock speed are equal) to Thuban (Phenom II X6). Since its 8 cores and is probably clocked a bit higher, that should give you a good idea of the rumored performance.

Ivy Bridge actually tends to not OC as high as Sandy Bridge, but the difference is pretty small.

For Sandy Bridge, don't need anything more than a Hyper212+ or Hyper212 Evo. For Ivy Bridge, I'd look into getting a TRUE Spirit 140. These should get you to about 4.5GHz on the respective CPUs.

My rule of thumb is that Ivy isn't worth more than $20 over Sandy. That makes the 3570K worth it over the 2500K, but the 2600K/2700K ends up being a better deal than the 3770K.

Even if Piledriver lives up to the rumors, it will have a similar IPC (performance when core count and clock speed are equal) to Thuban (Phenom II X6). Since its 8 cores and is probably clocked a bit higher, that should give you a good idea of the rumored performance.

Ivy Bridge actually tends to not OC as high as Sandy Bridge, but the difference is pretty small.

For Sandy Bridge, don't need anything more than a Hyper212+ or Hyper212 Evo. For Ivy Bridge, I'd look into getting a TRUE Spirit 140. These should get you to about 4.5GHz on the respective CPUs.

My rule of thumb is that Ivy isn't worth more than $20 over Sandy. That makes the 3570K worth it over the 2500K, but the 2600K/2700K ends up being a better deal than the 3770K.

I would probably get an i5... Not a big difference between the 3570k and the 2600k/2700k. Just cache right? Would It be a performance booster? I wonder if it would get me better fps in BF3, Skyrim, and Minecraft?

Is the 2500k worth it or should I get ivy bridge? You did say it's worth it to get the 3570k, but would the performance change from my 1065t which is 1% slower then the i7 920. Minees overclocked to 3.4ghz so I guess it would match up to the 920 or even be maybe 1% better. The 920 is still a good processor but I'd rather go with something new like an ivy bridge. :) More suggestions? I guess piledriver won't be as great as all the fanboys make it sound. If it's similar to thuban atleast it will be better then bulldozer.

Last edited:
The difference between the i5 and the i7 is Hyperthreading.

If you already have a 1065T you don't have to upgrade your CPU...what motherboard do you have? You might be able to wait until Piledriver and just throw a new chip it when it comes out, that's not a bad upgrade considering you don't have to get a new motherboard.

Don't think that 1% number is accurate...maybe if you were loading all the cores, but games only load up to 4 and the IPC of Bloomfield is higher than Thuban.

Don't use green text. That's what the moderators use when they're making an official statement.

The difference between the i5 and the i7 is Hyperthreading.

If you already have a 1065T you don't have to upgrade your CPU...what motherboard do you have? You might be able to wait until Piledriver and just throw a new chip it when it comes out, that's not a bad upgrade considering you don't have to get a new motherboard.

Don't think that 1% number is accurate...maybe if you were loading all the cores, but games only load up to 4 and the IPC of Bloomfield is higher than Thuban.

Don't use green text. That's what the moderators use when they're making an official statement.

If you look at cpu benchmarks my processor comes up like literally 1x slower then yours. If yours is oc'ed obviously you have the advantage. I wanna go Intel. Piledriver doesn't sound promising.

Back