• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little experiment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deez

It was cold and dry here today so I stuck my PC in the window to see if it would OC any better. I didn't even have to shut it off b/c the window is right next to the desk and my temps dropped to 32C CPU and 14C mobo under full load but I was not able to get any better OC results.

I was still unstable at 1500+ even with another step up in volts and was unable to boot any higher than before. I figure temps this low under load would almost be equivalent to watercooling so I dont think I can get much more from my current CPU regardless of cooling.

but for the good news I got it up another notch to 1460 and all seems stable. running prime95 torture test overnight to be 100% sure

yeah i feel your pain, i could hit 1.5 if my mobo wasnt uch a POS.....it was rock stable at 1.46/1.8V so then i burn it in for 2 days at 667/1.8V and now itll do 1.48 except the voltage is goign as low as 1.7 and when it does this it crashes....i think maybe the delta 38 is putting strees on the mob..maybe ill use tha adapter soon....

I don't know if you can compare air open window cooling to water cooling, where the thermistor is off in the insocket diode anyways, and watercooling is going to keep the Intel always cool @ 20 degrees or so, while air is jumping all over the place.

You could probably pump the full 1.825v with water or maybe even over volt it and probably hit 150fsb.

I saw some pics last winter of a guy in Ohio who had his computer set up outside on a picnic table. The ambient temp was sub-zero and there was snow on the ground. He did pretty good at overclocking. There was a Canadian lady that was a forum member last year that did the window trick too. Seems like she was fairly successful too.

Since I've always measured temps the same way with this mobo this result is just as accurate as all of my previous results. And i did not just stick my puter in the window...Without turning off the PC I removed the case side opened the window and moved the PC into the window directly and started watching temps. After leaving in the window for 20-30 mins crunching SETI temps overall dropped 10C then I restarted the comp and tried several different OC settings with the RAM slowed down so it wouldn't interfere.

And also 1.825v still makes it unstable even in window and personally I think thats too much.

So I learned that no more can be gained from this CPU without using excessive cooling methods that will lower the temp beyond 10C and then it may be a low margin in which case excessive cooling makes no sense $$$$ wise to me

Back