• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lucid Hydra and 3Dfx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

I recently came into the possesson of several 3Dfx cards and I was wondering whether it might be feasible to create a triple or quad Voodoo 5 setup with some PCI/AGP to PCIe bridge cards like these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCI-Express-Adapter-Card/dp/B0024CV3SA and a board with Lucid Hydra on it.

I realise that it would be inneficient and wasteful, but potentially it could make for the most powerful 3Dfx setup ever created i.e. 4 dual chip Voodoo 5s in a multi gpu config.

Is there any technical reason that occurs to anyone why such a setup would not work?

only then the pci voodoo 2's and some rare pci banshees can run in sli over 2 cards.

but you can use that pci-e adapter to use the card in a new system
and yes there are win7 and x64 bit drivers for most 3dfx cards

http://www.3dfxzone.it/index.php

BTW what all cards did you get
I might be willing to take some from you.

BTW
The best 3dfx system had a modded WC'd voodoo 6000 with faster vram installed and 2600k.

I have no wish to run them in SLI I want to use Lucid's Hydra multi gpu tech on a board like say the Crosshair IV Extreme, that is the reason for the PCIe adaptors. With 4 Voodoo 5 5500's in a Lucid Hydra setup I could see them beating a Voodoo 5 6000.

Also weren't the few pre release Rampages faster than the Voodoo 5 6000?

In answer to your question, I got a couple of Voodoo 5's, a Voodoo 3 and 2 Voodoo 2 12MBs, but unfortunately I'm not selling any of them.

Also weren't the few pre release Rampages faster than the Voodoo 5 6000?

in some environments, BTW the rampage became the nvfx cards. (heavily modded)
the lacked glide and a lot of older stuff, but added PS and T&L.
I have no wish to run them in SLI I want to use Lucid's Hydra multi gpu tech on a board like say the Crosshair IV Extreme, that is the reason for the PCIe adaptors. With 4 Voodoo 5 5500's in a Lucid Hydra setup I could see them beating a Voodoo 5 6000.
They will not work together what so ever. they can't do that.
I'm a ex driver dev and they just can't do that.
If I have the time I'd update my v2x64bit driver for 7

In answer to your question, I got a couple of Voodoo 5's, a Voodoo 3 and 2 Voodoo 2 12MBs, but unfortunately I'm not selling any of them.
cool so they're free ? lol

They will not work together what so ever. they can't do that.

Why not? Their age or the need for the PCIe adaptors? I was under the impression that Hydra worked independantly of the drivers and card hardware.

The rampage became the nvfx cards.

Which NV cards? The Geforce 2 was already out by then and I am fairly sure that the NV2x architecture was heavily based around NV1x but with programmable shaders and the new memory bus.

If it was NV30 then that doesn't say much for the Rampage :)

Last edited:
Why not? Their age or the need for the PCIe adaptors? I was under the impression that Hydra worked independantly of the drivers and card hardware.

it will not work with 3dfx cards, it hardy works at all from what I know.
Which NV cards? The Geforce 2 was already out by then and I am fairly sure that the NV2x architecture was heavily based around NV1x but with programmable shaders and the new memory bus.

If it was NV30 then that doesn't say much for the Rampage :)

some of the FX cards, but NV modded them so much they where hardly the same.
they where used more like a template. but also keep in mind they were to be released a year before NV did. but not all FX cards where built on the rampage, and I forget witch ones were.
I still love my fx5900 ultra whether it was built on the rampage or not, its a vary good card for it's age/

edit
I know they added PS2 on the card, thats what killed it. as it was not meant to do that

If any of the FX series were based on it then all of them were. NV30-35 was the first revision and NV36/38 was just a tweak.

it will not work with 3dfx cards, it hardy works at all from what I know.

It works pretty widely, it's just that in a lot of the scenarios they originally touted e.g. Nvidia + ATI or DX9 + DX10/DX11 the performance was shocking. With identical cards it generally lags a little behind CF or SLI.

So why will it not work on 3Dfx?

Last edited:
If any of the FX series were based on it then all of them were. NV30-35 was the first revision and NV36/38 was just a tweak.

It works pretty widely, it's just that in a lot of the scenarios they originally touted e.g. Nvidia + ATI or DX9+DX10/DX11 the performance was shocking. With identical cards it generally lags a little behind CF or SLI.

So why will it not work on 3Dfx?

it only works with dx9 and higher cards. the voodoo5 is dx8.1
only the latter rampage's had full dx9. That and I think it links shader's
no 3dfx card other then the rampage have shader's.

Now the voodoo5 has dx8.1 witch will allow you to play dx9 games in fall back mode. so long as they don't need shader's, T&L or a newer hardware video decoder. games like AOE3
You can emulate T&L and PS 1.4 with 3d analyzer, buts that iffy

But go ahead and try, it wouldn't hurt to. but I'm 99% sure it will not work.

edit:
if you need help playing newer games let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. After I've overhauled my main PC this winter I might spring for a hydra board, stick my 920 in it and try two Voodoo 5's just to see. If that fails the expenditure will be minimal, on the off chance that it succeeds it would be awesome and I could source two more cards.

As a footnote, I spent the morning setting up a dual proc coppermine machine with Voodoo 2 SLI and an ISA turtle beach FIJI. I must dash off ASAP and find my copies of Quake 2 and Mechwarrior.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. After I've overhauled my main PC this winter I might spring for a hydra board, stick my 920 in it and try two Voodoo 5's just to see. If that fails the expenditure will be minimal, on the off chance that it succeeds it would be awesome and I could source two more cards.

As a footnote, I spent the morning setting up a dual proc coppermine machine with Voodoo 2 SLI and an ISA turtle beach FIJI. I must dash off ASAP and find my copies of Quake 2 and Mechwarrior.

cool
but Mechwarrior will not run in winNT
if your using 9x your wasting the second cpu, 9x does not have smp support :(
you can play it in xp with a patch or use dosbox.

BTW I got a case for my portable 3dfx gaming system.
I have to make isa riser ribbon cable tho, that will not be tough.

Back