• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4T-E : Anyone cooling the MCH ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maggot

Registered
The i850 Memory Controller Hub has a clipped-on HS
and I removed it. There's a glob of poorly applied
white silicone-like paste atop a core which closely resembles that of the CuMine FC-PGA (and Celeron .18µ) architecture.

It's easy enuf to replace the crummy gook with AS3
but it made me wonder if a fan, or a little VGA cooler like a Chrome Orb, might be preferable.

Has anyone heard reports of the benefits -or lack thereof- of actively cooling the MCH (or other
chipset components) in assisting a good OC on these mobos?

I installed a small cpu heatsink/fan combo on the MCH cause it seemed to be getting fairly hot. I never had any stability issues that warranted doing that but I figured what the heck.

I previously owned a P3V4X and made one up for the clock generator and that made a huge difference for OC ing.

I can run this one @ 120 FSB with the air cooling but I found that the system performs better @ 115 with the memory @ 4x with turbo enabled. I have 256 Mushkin enhanced RDRAM. Very stable @ 115 and 4x turbo.

Here is a pic of the Heatsink/fan I put on the P4T-E MCH:

I haven't had any problems with the MCH getting overly hot...so I am sticking with the stock passive cooling. I did however remove the icky white stuff. I lapped the heat sink slightly to remove the paint and reset with AS3.

My conclusions are different. I felt the MCH HS
right after installing my new OS (WinXP) and the sucker was plenty hot > 150°F.

I'm surely gonna put a little fan right on the MCH

--eventually. I have so much to do before I get to OC or play with my new box- the new OS is confusing and I'm having LAN trouble galore.

Back