• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crosshair v internet issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Younglin

It has been a long time since I last logged in, life gets in the way I guess.

But here is my story and my current problem.

Built my new system, asus crosshair v, 8150, dual 6870, 2 x 8 "amd" ram kit, 240 gig ssd, 2 x 1tb drives for storage, blah blah blah.

Bought most of the parts before the bulldoer release and waited for the processor, which as everyone knows was disappointing. Bought the processor and put everything together but system wouldn't post. Couldn't figure it out, tried everything, then finally realized the bios did not support the cpu. need to flash the bios. Flashed, fixed.

Then windows wouldn't install. missing raid drivers blah blah, found drivers and windows installed, fixed.

Then the latest asus drivers for the LAN wouldn't work. Discovered that SNMP was disabled, enable it, fixed.

LAN is slow as hell, like 3 kb/s slow.

nothing worked, bought an asus n600 pcie wireless card, drivers install just fine and wireless works, BUT still like 3 kb/s.

HELP. Someone please end my nightmare and tell me why the LAN is so slow.
No, it is not my router. It's new and my other computers are blazingly fast.

I figure its a driver or chipset issue (hence this being in the mobo section, but mods feel free to move this.) but I can't figure it out.

Yeah, but when you installed the NIC card you bypassed the SB. That's a tough one.

What brand is the onboard NIC? You may have wrong driver installed, most MB CD's come with 3 or 4 drivers for different brand NIC's.
If you do have right driver, then it may be bad MB.

I believe this is a software issue within the OS, not a hardware issue.
The 82583V (which is very good, actually) is not in use when a wireless NIC is installed.

Can you connect a crossover ethernet cable to another PC's LAN port and test throughput that way?

I was just reading something like this a bit ago, something about setting the speed in the device manager i think was his cure, i am not an advanced user so if you know about this please chime in.

thats what i was reading, trents ram still works.

Last edited:
There's a thread over on the CPU section where a guy was having very slow LAN speed and fixed it with some Windows adjustments but he has a Sabertooth. Don't know if it would apply here or not.

The wired LAN is just as slow, if not slower.

I tinkered with the device manager to no avail, and even rooted through my registry but nothing helped. I have the correct drivers off of the asus website.

Averaging about 50 KB per sceond now, wired and wireless.

EDIT: Also i doubt it is just a bad mobo as the mobo has been great in most other regards. I torture tested at 4.8Ghz for 26 hours with no problem. Also, I am only using 1.4-ish volts and max temp at load is 40. So happy with this chip.

Last edited:
Tried pretty much everything in that thread, and I don't think my onboard NIC is the problem because my pci wireless card would bypass that. Therefore The problem must be something else. I'm going to try changing frequency from 2.4-5.0. perhaps it is just an interference problem. Although I doubt it.

Tried pretty much everything in that thread, and I don't think my onboard NIC is the problem because my pci wireless card would bypass that. Therefore The problem must be something else. I'm going to try changing frequency from 2.4-5.0. perhaps it is just an interference problem. Although I doubt it.

I read that linked thread about 2 times fully and various parts a few more times and it seemed to have hit most of the problems actually associated with the NICs themselves. I wanted to eliminate or pin-point the board if possible. You now seem to believe it is not the board and that is good as well. Good luck with your troubleshooting.

RGone...ster. :chair:

RGone, the problem is not the board.

Why?
PCI or PCI-E based card goes through PCI-E bus, if that bus couldn't transfer more than 50kb/s then you could forget running a GPU. Onboard NIC is one of the best out there too, the intel NICs are great. They just aren't supported natively like some of the realtek NICs are.

RGone, what do you think the problem is that would be related to the motherboard itself? :sly:

RGone, the problem is not the board.

Why?
PCI or PCI-E based card goes through PCI-E bus, if that bus couldn't transfer more than 50kb/s then you could forget running a GPU. Onboard NIC is one of the best out there too, the intel NICs are great. They just aren't supported natively like some of the realtek NICs are.

RGone, what do you think the problem is that would be related to the motherboard itself? :sly:

Have you a problem with reading? Or did you just not understand what was being done? I located for him a thread with more than one possible fix for his issue. He used the thread to determine in his own mind that the issue was not board related. I responded that was a good thing. He is off to search other possible causes. So what is the problem?

I am off as well, satisfied we have actually tried to assist a user. Thanks

I suppose I shouldn't say it is not the board, but I do not think it is the NIC, for reason stated above by beepbeep and myself. And if it is not the NIC, what could the problem be?
I have no idea unfortunately. So I may just reinstall windows this weekend and hope for the best.

Have you tried running Ubuntu on it? If it works fine in Linux and not in Windows that would possibly give some direction to your trouble shooting.

Is the CHV a replacement for another computer or is it an addition to your home network? The reason I ask is that perhaps something or someone on the other 'blazing fast' computers is not leaving a lot of bandwidth left over for an additional computer to use.

I can find many so-called troubleshooting hits in google for slow internet connections. Too many to count. I used to use the DSLReports tips all the time. They are pretty sharp. They have some recommends for diagnosing broadband speed issues.

OMG!!! I don't know why I did not think of this before, if BitTorent is running on any other PC on your local network, KILL IT!!!
That will slow any internet connection.

OMG!!! I don't know why I did not think of this before, if BitTorent is running on any other PC on your local network, KILL IT!!!
That will slow any internet connection.

Depending on your bit client and its setup. but even with uTorrent running at 6xbs/sec both myself and girlfreind can get online and surf without issues. I dont think that is the issue here.

It happened to me is way I say that, I have a nephew that was downloading 5 or more movies at the same time and it slowed my internet way down. From what you said, you put a limit on how much of your bandwith bittourent uses.

Depending on your bit client and its setup. but even with uTorrent running at 6xbs/sec both myself and girlfreind can get online and surf without issues. I dont think that is the issue here.

No torrent programs running, and it is a replacement for my previous gaming pc, but all the computers in the house are running just fine. I even rebooted my router and only connected my crosshair so it had all the bandwidth and it was still slow.

I did a full reinstall of windows and used the drivers on the included disk. Same problems as before but now I cannot connect wirelessly at all. When using wired LAN I can achieve about 100KB/s. Usable, but not for gaming. I'm currently letting it download skyrim, should only take about 2 days lmao. I'm going to buy a new router, even though this one is fairly new. If that doesn't help i'll buy a new mobo.

Back