• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crosshair v internet issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Take that CHV to your modem and unhook the router and hook the nic of CHV direct to the modem. My guess is you will not have the speed you want but it will certainly show the router is not the problem. Most of all you will know which is bad. The mobo configuration is giving issues or the router is slow.

I would like to know the results of testing the system hardware using an Ubuntu Live CD. That would instantly let you know if it is a hardware problem or a system software issue.

Okay so booted up in linux and tried speedtest.net. Got 0.40Mbps download and 0.38Mbps. That is a wired connection.

Tried speedtest.net on my laptop and got 17Mbps download and 0.40 Mbps upload. This is a wireless connection.

I found it interesting that the download speed seems to pretty much match my upload speed, maybe it's a clue?

Unless you have Wideband cable, your dowbload speed on your cable modem will be about 10-20 mb download and 0.4 mb up, I have wideband here, 30mb download and 5mb up :)
Question: what type of cable are you using from the PC to the router? I had a cat 5E running to 1 of my PC's and cable was too long for 1Gb speed on LAN, it ran at 100Mb, I got a cat 6 and it ran at 1Gb speed. (I'm using 2 1Gb hubs to connect all 4 deasktop PC's at 1Gb, then hub to router at 100Mb)
cat 3 is for 10Mb speed LAN's.

I just thought of the fact you got same problem with a wireless, check the PCI and PCIe bus speed, if it's low, that might be the problem.

Okay so booted up in linux and tried speedtest.net. Got 0.40Mbps download and 0.38Mbps. That is a wired connection.

Tried speedtest.net on my laptop and got 17Mbps download and 0.40 Mbps upload. This is a wireless connection.

I found it interesting that the download speed seems to pretty much match my upload speed, maybe it's a clue?

Last edited:
Plugged directly into the modem and got awesome speeds. About 25Mbps average. So I guess my router just really doesn't like my computer? I'm not sure what the problem is here because its only this computer. The other computers that are plugged into the router get great speeds and so does the wireless but I get neither wired or wireless on this comp?

Suggestions?

Good at least now we know the cable you used from the CHV to the modem and the CHV are good.

Maybe not so good as the CHV Nic talks to the router. I presume you really want to go wired with at least Cat 5 cable to the router from the CHV?

Bad port on router? If your other PC's get good speed on the other ports on the router then that port that you have the CHV pluged in is bad (maybe).
Is there a port not being used you can plug into? This may tell you the router is bad, you can get a hub and plug into 1 of the other ports that is good and plug your PC's in that.

Plugged directly into the modem and got awesome speeds. About 25Mbps average. So I guess my router just really doesn't like my computer? I'm not sure what the problem is here because its only this computer. The other computers that are plugged into the router get great speeds and so does the wireless but I get neither wired or wireless on this comp?

Suggestions?

Is there a port not being used you can plug into? OR just swap the CHV to the router port that has a 'working' computer hooked to it. If CHV goes to connecting fast and the other computer slows...well there is the answer. Then how you approach fixing with either hub or new router would be up to you and your monies.

Here is a diagram of what I did in my house, note: the 3 PC's on the right side are in another room.

LAN_setup.jpg

You don't have to do what I did, this is just to give you an idea on what you can do. Then again it may be better to just get a new router :comp:

I wonder if the NIC on that CHV will only run at 1Gb and does not like your 100Mb router? I once had a 10Mb hub that my laptop did not like, it would not connect at all.
Running through a 1Gb hub might work.

I have tried other ports already. Perhaps a 1Gb hub is the answer.

Hi Younglin,

I'll be the first to admit my networking skills are a little weak... :-/
That being said, I have a C5F with a wireless NIC (Linksys WMP600N Dual Band) and I had some speed problems when I first installed it too...
You seem like you have a pretty good handle on hardware so I'm not sure how much these suggestions will help, but here goes. :)

Make sure you turn off the onboard NIC in Bios when using the wireless card to avoid any potential conflicts.

Download/Install the newest drivers from your card manufacturers website.

I finally solved my problems by D'ling an app from "Ralink Technology".
I've looked and I can't find it again (it's been awhile), but I'm pretty sure I got it from following a Cisco link...

I know this isn't much help, but you seem to be having problems so I thought I'd offer what I could. ;)

If your seriously considering a new router I've been VERY happy with the Cisco 4200 Dual Band, it's a little pricey but you get what you pay for. :D

I run my main rig @ 5Ghz and my Server and HTPC @ 2.4Ghz, the speeds are very respectable for wireless...

I bought a new router and now I'm getting 1.4 MB, yes MB not Mb, per second downloading games on steam, where I was at 200Kb with the previous router. It seems My router was trying to force 100Mb/s on my CHV and my CHV was like "AH HELL NAH, IF I DON'T GET GIGABIT I DON'T GET NOTHING." and then proceeded to not work really at all.

The new router is a belkin and I'm getting crazy speed with this thing, wireless is twice as fast and wired is 10 times faster on the CHV. had a mini heart attack though. got nothing but blue screens for an hour so i used my 7 cd to restore previous settings and now its golden. Downloading all my games now and then its finally time to put this to the test. BTW I have three 1080p monitors running off of two 6870's @ 1GHz.

Back