• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX owner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hi everyone, I am a proud owner of the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX which replaced my old EVGA nForce 680i SLi. :clap:
I really like the design and features the mobo has is pretty neat. The Overclocking features are crazy on that board. :comp:

Any other owners out there of this motherboard? If so, what do you like about it?

I see your thread has not had any replies. Not a lot of people just come and write about how they feel about their mobo unless it is to complain. That of course is human-nature.

Here is some information for your reading.

There are a number of users in the AMD section that use the Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. I know of at least two that have upgraded from what are thought to be lesser motherboards. One has been quite over-joyed. One was over-joyed until he began to look into this thread. However user number two is also a very avid computer user and a user capable of testing to make up his own mind about a situation. He has no fear to buy a board and then try another. So reading for detail is strongly urged.

I would feel a Sabretooth 990FX to be a good thing for me. I surely see you are proud of your purchase and rightly so. Good luck and happy Sabertoothing.

Sabertooth 990FX Upgrade - Not so nice!

I have one. I'm mostly happy with it. It sometimes refuses to boot with all the ram slots populated, requiring the mem-ok button to be pushed. It was annoying enough that I removed half of my ram.

Everything works great otherwise!

@Arbiter Odie. AMD CPUs have 2 memory controllers, and you can run them either in,

Ganged mode is 1x128bit memory controller (combining both controllers to act as one). Maybe some faster for single threaded applications.

OR

Unganged mode has the IMC acting as 2x64bit memory controllers. Maybe faster for multi-tasking and Unganged mode is normally the suggested setting as you will notice if you look at the default mode being normally set to Un-ganged by most motherboard bioses.

Depending on memory load you may find upping CPU/NB 0.05 could add a little oomph to load created by a lot of ram.

In your Sabertooth bios it seems you can set the seperate memory controllers (DCT0 and DCT1) to different drive strengths and this can help at times with larger ram sticks. See page #72 / section 3-10 of your E6674_Saberttooth_990FX_V2_u.pdf manual. Adjusting might help you with 16Gig ram which I assume is a 4x4gig kit.

I have one. I'm mostly happy with it. It sometimes refuses to boot with all the ram slots populated, requiring the mem-ok button to be pushed. It was annoying enough that I removed half of my ram.

Everything works great otherwise!

my Ram ran at 1600 first boot and OC my CPU to 4600MHz
i had to toy with it to get the RAM to run at 1866 (4x4GB) i cant remember what all i did but i turned everything to default b/c of high CPU temps

also i see we have the same case.

I loved my sabertooth under my fx8120 cpus, i would tell anybody to give it a good looking over, if they will go over to the motherboard section and spend some time reading around there.
I think it is going to live out a long life under my 955be next.

I would give real thought before sending back the sabertooth if you have no plans on getting an 8 core.
my chv is only a tiny bit better than my sabertooth performance wise.
the chv is a little more feature rich but i really do not need or use those features.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am a proud owner of the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX which replaced my old EVGA nForce 680i SLi. :clap:
I really like the design and features the mobo has is pretty neat. The Overclocking features are crazy on that board. :comp:

Any other owners out there of this motherboard? If so, what do you like about it?

Welcome ITAngel. :welcome:

You are finding out we have some of the best and knowledgeable guys here in all fields including AMD. :thup:

Thanks You! RollingThunder. I been busy trying to OC and get my system all configure. At the moment waiting for my GTX 570 to run the system with it. So far I am very happy with the motherboard and the Phenom II X4 960T that I have on it now.

I am supposed to be a Sabertooth owner in the near future. I ordered a refurbished one for $99 from Geeks and according to FedEx it is out for delivery. We are on the end of the route up here, so I don't expect it for another couple hours. BUT, the day after I ordered the Sabertooth, I saw a CHV on Newegg Open Box for $154 and I went for it. So now I have two mobos on the way. Probably only keep one of them. I first ordered a CHV from Geeks, but it was DOA and I returned it and they had no more in stock to exchange. I had a couple year long stretch of no DOAs with hardware, so I guess it's my turn to dance the RMA shuffle now.

Update: I received my Sabertooth from Geeks, and unlike the CHV I just returned I did not see any visible damage. This one did not include the manual, as it was supposed to, same as the CHV, but the rest of the kit appears to be there. This board was definitely already sent out and returned to Geeks, the box was retaped and some of the cord packages were torn open. This board had non FX compatible BIOS, but I have a Phenom that I put in and was able to update to the most current BIOS using the ASUS AI suite with no problems, other than the hassle of having to use an old CPU to make a top-end motherboard function that is. :rolleyes: After I got the FX-4170 put back in I did some testing last night and this morning and was able to break the 5.0 Ghz mark, which I could not do with my M5A97 EVO. I also ran the Shogun 2 1080p benchmark and my score went up from 59 fps to 64 fps. I am guessing that this is mostly due to the better Crossfire performance from the 990FX compared to the 970. Also, I was wondering about the 1866 maximum listed memory speed for the Sabertooth, but I put that fear to rest. I have been able to get my Samsungs to run at 2140 Mhz thus far. I was not able to get past about 2080 Mhz with the A97. All in all the board seems pretty good, but it is likely to get removed and returned in the very near future, the CHV I got Open Box from Newegg is out for delivery right now. If this CHV works and performs a touch better than the Sabertooth I will keep it and send the ST back . If there are any issues with the CHV I will send it back and happily keep this $99 Sabertooth though. So my succes rate with Geeks is 50/50 with the refurbished mobos. I have had 100% success with the new (ultra cheap) items from Geeks. I guess they are kind of the Harbor Freight of PC gear.

Cool: Mine came without the shield but they send it and miss to send me the manual, wires, book etc... but is ok all I need is the board and shield.

I bought the Sabertooth 990fx board last year with the release of Bulldozer. I have used a AMD FX 4100 and my current CPU , AMD 1090t. Both overclocked easy with no issues. Board has performed great in all aspects and I plan on getting a second one once the 8350 Piledriver is released for my next build.
Just one mans opinion.

Last edited:
Back