Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It

Mars Curiosity lands TONIGHT!

Couple links to have ready:

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

http://www.universetoday.com/96541/j...rover-landing/

Wish them luck, it's engineering at the highest level for all you geeks out there.

I'm excited!

On a sidenote, what news network spent lots of $$ for a crash simulation to be broadcast a few minutes of it not making it? I'm sure the news will be a mile a minute if it does, more than if it does make it. I hate the 30 second news cycle. All about ratings. No brain, all pundit these days.
    I want my old title back.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
    27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H

I can't wait, man. So excited. Several of my friends worked on the rover, and I think will be sitting in mission control during the landing. Can't wait to see the first pictures come back!
    mATX Desktop (Build Log Here): Core i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 1.3V, Maximus VI Gene, 16GB DDR3-1600 RipjawX, EVGA GTX780, Intel 520 240GB, Seagate 2TB, EK CPU and GPU waterblocks, MCP35X, 120.1 and 180.1 radiators.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

The Hardware Destruction Thread|OCForums Musicians Club Member -12|OCForums Metal Club Member -12

Well, if he opens the box and its dead, then it would be his fault because the state of the cat is determined by the observer. Then we could be all ‘n00b, you collapsed the wavefunction now! - RoadWarrior, on Schrödinger’s Cat

Unscathed Member
    Mars rover Curiosity is scheduled to land on the Red Planet tonight at 10:31 p.m. PDT/1:31 a.m. EDT, just as a heads up
    ASUS MVFormula / i7-3770k @ 4.9GHz
    Koolance 380i / NexXxoS XT45 360 / XSPC D5 Photon
    16GB (4x4GB) Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600
    EVGA 780 Ti SC ACX / ASUS Xonar Phoebus
    Corsair 850HX / NZXT Switch 810
    500GB Samsung 840 Evo / 2x 2TB Caviar Black
    WooAudio WA7 / Beyerdynamic T90
    [Heatware]

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    It landed! 100% even pics!

God Bless America and it's engineering excellence!
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS

First pic

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    Amazing, there were over 70 electro explosive devices that had to work perfectly.

Well spent $$ from US taxpayers. I hope it don't get a flat or Howard lets a prospective sex encounter screw things up.

'Big Bang Theory', for all us wanna be geeks.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS

Awesome, when can we expect an invasion force?
    I3 530 3.5 GHZ
    4GIG DDR3 1600
    Heatware

On the one had I think it is a tremendous waste of money; then I think about how money works and get to feeling a little better because every dollar spent multiplies revenues as it floats through the economy. The caveat is much of the money leaves the US headed for Asia.

On the other hand I think it is awesome!
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver i7 3740QM T530
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Game Rig (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
    Test Bed - In flux

Yea, I was very happy to see landing turn out well. I was really worried about the sky crane method.

Shot of the descent taken by the MRO.

^^ I *LOVE* that shot. SO cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
    On the one had I think it is a tremendous waste of money; then I think about how money works and get to feeling a little better because every dollar spent multiplies revenues as it floats through the economy. The caveat is much of the money leaves the US headed for Asia.
    Not really, most of it stays here. Its US government money (NASA) being paid to US government employees (NASA engineers/scientists), Boeing/Lockheed for the launch vehicle, BAE, Raytheon, and a few others for the electronics, and universities all over the world for the scientific instruments.
    mATX Desktop (Build Log Here): Core i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 1.3V, Maximus VI Gene, 16GB DDR3-1600 RipjawX, EVGA GTX780, Intel 520 240GB, Seagate 2TB, EK CPU and GPU waterblocks, MCP35X, 120.1 and 180.1 radiators.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

The Hardware Destruction Thread|OCForums Musicians Club Member -12|OCForums Metal Club Member -12

Well, if he opens the box and its dead, then it would be his fault because the state of the cat is determined by the observer. Then we could be all ‘n00b, you collapsed the wavefunction now! - RoadWarrior, on Schrödinger’s Cat

Senior Member that
    wants to Be Banned
    Premium Member #16

10 Year Badge
    Really glad we had a success again...wish they could have kept within budget though.

I started reading "Red Mars" in preparation for this a really good book so far.

Quote Originally Posted by aphellyon View Post

Yea, I was very happy to see landing turn out well. I was really worried about the sky crane method.
    My worries were on the Parachute deployment at 1000mph....Nothing like thin atmosphere!
    Last edited by dfonda; 08-06-12 at 06:40 PM.
    #1Win72600k@4.5GHZ(Hyper212+)Msi P67 G65 16GB RAM evga560Ti
    Phones:Nexus 5(Love It) N4,N7, iphone5, One+One Ordered!
    Folded for Tim and his wife, Mark and his wife,Pete_Scout Oldskool and Adak..."He was the Best of us".
    The first 4 months you cover your phone and baby it...
    The next 4 months you go commando and relax...
    The last 4 months you treat it like a rented mule, because lets face it its time for a new phone...

Senior Member that
    wants to Be Banned
    Premium Member #16

10 Year Badge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti_yre6dsa4&feature=plcp

Video I shot from my Galaxy nexus.
    #1Win72600k@4.5GHZ(Hyper212+)Msi P67 G65 16GB RAM evga560Ti
    Phones:Nexus 5(Love It) N4,N7, iphone5, One+One Ordered!
    Folded for Tim and his wife, Mark and his wife,Pete_Scout Oldskool and Adak..."He was the Best of us".
    The first 4 months you cover your phone and baby it...
    The next 4 months you go commando and relax...
    The last 4 months you treat it like a rented mule, because lets face it its time for a new phone...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf121188 View Post
    ^^ I *LOVE* that shot. SO cool.

Not really, most of it stays here. Its US government money (NASA) being paid to US government employees (NASA engineers/scientists), Boeing/Lockheed for the launch vehicle, BAE, Raytheon, and a few others for the electronics, and universities all over the world for the scientific instruments.
    Initially yes but it trickles out through employee spending. It just can not multiply like it did 20+ years ago.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Test Bed - In flux

Quote Originally Posted by dfonda View Post
    My worries were on the Parachute deployment at 1000mph....Nothing like thin atmosphere!
    Yea, no doubt. I wonder how well this landing method will scale up for larger payloads.

Watched the news report on this this evening and in the background was a big screen with the Windows XP screen saver bouncing around on it. Apparently NASA didn't trust Vista or 7.
    If it ain't broke let me take a crack at it.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Bobnova: "I suspect OptyTrooper of being a masochist."

Dual Opteron 4334s @ 3.4GHz/Asus KCMA-D8/12GB DDR3 G.Skill ECC 1333/WD Black 500GB/X2 A-DATA Premier Pro SP900 in RAID 0.

Quote Originally Posted by dfonda View Post
    Ever read Roving Mars, by Steve Squyres? There's a section in there where he talks about the development of the parachute for the MER mission. Pretty interesting/terrifying stuff. It's a great book, highly recommended. Also, Squyres was one of my professors at Cornell. Awesome guy.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

The money cruising through the economy is only part of it.
    Next time you use a microwave, thank NASA!
    Money "wasted" on space is responsible for a lot of the stuff we take for granted every day.

I think it's fantastic it made it, that makes me very happy. I'm hoping it can vastly outlive it's projected lifespan like the last rovers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Quote Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
    I think it's fantastic it made it, that makes me very happy. I'm hoping it can vastly outlive it's projected lifespan like the last rovers
    Looks like there's a good chance of that... if only there were two of them.

http://www.space.com/16679-mars-rove...-lifespan.html

"While the rover could realistically survive five or six years on Mars, there are three main areas that could limit Curiosity's life: the rover's onboard mechanisms, its batteries, and its nuclear-powered RTG, he explained.

"We test the mechanisms usually for three times life — sometimes two — and we don't test them to failure," Theisinger told SPACE.com. "So, all the mechanisms have been tested to last two to three times longer than we expect the mission to operate, if they haven't failed in that period of time."

"The RTG suffers from the degradation of plutonium dioxide, but that lasts a long time," Theisinger said. "I think from the RTG, I would expect to get 10, 12 or 15 years out of it."

"The reasons Spirit and Opportunity lasted longer are different, so you can't run away with that idea," he said. "Do I think Curiosity could last longer? It certainly could. Could it last 10 years? I don't think so. But could it last five years? You bet. If it lasted five or six years, I wouldn't be shocked."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
    The money cruising through the economy is only part of it.
    Next time you use a microwave, thank NASA!
    Money "wasted" on space is responsible for a lot of the stuff we take for granted every day.

Hey it is cool! I have worked with former NASA engineers (Bob Babington for one) before (yeah I know you think I am FOS but hey) and I redesigned the heat spreader mechanism on the griddle top here http://www.babingtontechnology.com/PMB_Sled.htm last pic at bottom.

As well as building these: http://www.babingtontechnology.com/P...um%20L-RES.pdf

These burners were developed by Bob while at NASA and have made eating in the Corps a bit better. And there is a Colonel or two out there that make a mean burger as well sausage with peppers and onions. Bob has them in europe heating homes but for some reason cant get it going in the US.

http://spinoff.nasa.gov/spinfaq.htm

I have also worked with many NASA developed technologies from IBM to OSSID.

My point was not what NASA does but where the money ends up (not cycling through our economy). I am sorry I ruined this thread but I guess I just like to ruin everyones day by putting things in perspective. It is how I think.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Test Bed - In flux

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast