• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS RT-56U or RT-66U?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

I'm in need of a new router at home. I stream everything wired thru my ATV2, probably 4-5 laptops wirelessly, PS3 wired, Xbox wired, 4 Iphones, etc..

I'm trying to pick between the above Asus routers. I use an RT-16n at work, and have no issues, so I want another Asus. Just cant decide if the extra money for the 66 would be noticable to me. I dont plan on doing anything other than plugging it in and using it.

If you don't intend to use a custom firmware on the router then the 56U is great.

I run one at home and have never had a hiccup using it. Got 5 Phones, 1 iPad, 4 Laptops, 1 Downloader, Xbox 360, PS3 and a raspberry pi running most of the time with kids playing games online (CoD, LoL) and using the Rasperry Pi for watching movies over the network and it hasn't stuttered at all in either the movie or the game.

No, while I use DDRWT on all my other Asus routers, I can get by with factory at home. I need to keep it simple for the family. Even though I like DDRWT better, I just want to plug and play at home. Thanks for your reply. That helps my decision. Anyone else?

I just got an Asus RT-N66U and found it to be quite a good router. Quite a bit of flexibility in the settings using the factory firmware. I tend to buy a router every 5 years or so, and my thinking is that I'd like to get one so that I don't have to buy another one for a while. Setup wasn't too rough and the coverage is good in my house. I only have one 802.11n device (the Asus USB-N63) and I couldn't get it to work reliably, so I'm running it on 802.11g instead. I chalk that up to it being in a different corner of my house from the router and I have quite a bit of noise from my neighbor's wireless networks. That's not a big deal to me as the g internet connection is still almost as fast as a wired connection from the router.

Well I bought the RT-56U and holy cow is this thing fast!! Everything runs great. It was easy to set up(after I figured out that I can't have a 2.4ghz telephone directly along side the router. Duh). My navi x has never been this fast. Thanks for the help guys. It was a great purchase. Especially at $109 shipped from newegg.

Back