• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics Card Too Big

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TBsteve

Is there really such thing as a graphics card that is to big? Apparently yes...:p
My Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB card is quite a big fella, and it is an enormous pain in the *** to install it in my tower (CoolerMaster Storm Scout).
I think I found a way to cut down on a tiny amount to make it fit easier, but I wanted to make sure it would be harmless, as well as inquire as to what I should use to cut it down, (E.G. type of sand paper?).

Here is the picture of the card:
5ov1y0.jpg

as you can see, the plastic part, part of the cover, looks unnecessary, and is exactly whats getting caught up whenever I try and insert it. So, I would like to shave it down a cm or two. Thoughts?

Here is the link for the...

graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423

case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196&Tpk=coolermaster storm scout

THANKS a bunch for looking guys, hope you can help me out.

Hit those pipes and you've killed the heatsink. The plastic isn't doing anything though.

Small hacksaw or dremel should work.

I'm not sure if the heatsink and shroud are permanently attached, you may be able to take the shroud/fan assembly off and work on that without fear of damaging the rest.

You would probably be better off cutting into the drive rails that are blocking it rather than trying to hack on the card.

Though if you do decide to cut on the shroud make sure its not on the card at the time, and that it is thoroughly cleaned before you remount it. You dont want any little metal bur's or anything left on it. Since those can short out the surface mount components if they happen to get lodged against them .

that's what I was afraid of, which was why I was going to surgically sand it off with a small square of sand paper, lol. I'd rather stay away from power tools, as I don't want to have an accident on a $400 card :p

Disclaimer: When RAM wasn't fitting in a machine, I took a vertical bandsaw to the stick. Works fine. Best solution? Probably not. :D

yeah thats really risky, you might get lucky a few times, but believe me metal shavings can be a nightmare on sensitive electronics. I've fried some stuff not being safe enough while doing crazy things like that. If anything make sure you give it a good wash and blow it out well, but it can still be a problem with super fine smd components. I've seen stuff lodge in there and not want to come out.

Decided we will just put it in as is. Will just be a ***** if I ever need it out. I really only wanted to cut it down a tiny amount so it would just fit in and not be crammed in there.

it is plastic, yes, which was why I was confused as to why everyone was worried about metal shavings...no way I'm cutting metal. Anyways, we put everything in so its to late lol

was gonna say looks plastic to me and never heard of plastic pieces shorting anything out lol! just hack off the side is what id do or get a larger case

The case is like $70 and the GTX670 is $400.

Nothing would happen to the card if you cut the plastic shroud, but it would most likely void your warranty. So, if your card happens to mess up within its warranty period, then you'll be out $400.

I would look at modding the case since it's cheap compared to the GPU, or I'd just leave the card as-is until the warranty period is up.

The card is speced at 9.5", which is really good if you are used to bulky nvidia cards :D

I was contemplating that case because I can get a deal on it.. But if you are complaining of its size, then it probably won't work for me. My card is 11.5 " long, and my old 570 sli setup was 10.5" long.

I guess I will stick with my Sonata for now :beer:

Max video card length is 270mm/10.63in on the Scout. The Gigabyte is 276mm, since the heatpipes and shroud overhang. The PCB itself is only 10.5in long, I believe.

Your card is worth 4x your case. Cut the case. Leave the card. Honestly. Lol.

Time to invest in a new case? =D.

Edit: re-read thread. Ah so you managed to fit it. Just... Barely. Well take the time now that it's installed/working to save a bit for a new case? Unless you bought the case with a new build including the 670...? >.>

Anything bigger then a 275 mm card is not going in that case I can tell you that much lol, I guess you could cut into the drive bays to give it more room but I'd just go with a larger case...I really like this case but it could use more space.

My computer is done and its working great, we actually went in at an angle and the card went in easier...lol still tight though. Just a warning for anyone else getting this case...(read above post)

Back