• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED this cooler upgrade or downgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

im cooling a Q6600 @3ghz with a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 (unsure of fan) (probly 90-100CFM)
but i have a Cooler Master Hyper N520 and it would seem it would be Alot quieter because the 1 now it alittle loud
would the Cooler Master Hyper N520 be a upgrade? or be on par or be worse and if so by how much?
note Noise is important but not by alot
as long as i can keep my Q6600 at 3ghz with safe temps

Last edited:
A rule of thumb. Heatsink size > amount of fans.

I'd take the HDT-S1283 any day compared to the N520, though the N520 is pretty cool. First time I saw it was at thideras' Rackmount Overkill and I liked it.

ya true
but how much would it affect the Cpu temps by going to the CM?
because right now the fan is Super loud on the HDT

Last edited:
At 12v; no. It'll be loud. If you ran it via a 5v or 7v maybe. They'll all 'work' but depends on your definition of loud as well. I run my 92mm noctua fans at 800-900rpm; my front AP 181 180mm at 500rpm... The loudest thing in my rig; isn't actually in my rig. It's my external HDD next to my comp lol.

Good question. I never bought into LGA 775. Assuming they're the same as LGA 1366; or similar keep it under 80 degrees under full load. Idle temps don't really matter. Unless they're idling near 80 degrees haha.

k well i think that the cpu maxed out at ~62c so im good thx guys
i will probly just change the fan then
thx

Back