• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating of Hdd during gaming in my new sff system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
Asus Rampage IV Gene, i7 3820, gtx Gigabyte 670, 16gb ram, Corsair ssd Force GT 120gb, Caviar Black 1tb, Lian Li 351. And i haven't startd overclocking anything yet.

The problem is that during certain games, the Caviar Black in 10-30 minutes, reaches enormous temperatures of more than 50 degrees celcius. During one particular game (Legendary) it reached 59 degrees which i wasn't aware of and found out because i exited the game to check the temps!
No problems with gpu or cpu temperatures, same as reported in the benchmarks, both at idle and during load, and i use the stock cpu intel cooler.
The ssd is about 34-40 during idle and normal load. The hdd is about 38 to 40 during idle and normal load. I have the OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64) in the sdd and all the games in the hdd. I naturally have all game setting to highest possible, with a 24 inch Dell 2412m monitor. So why is it that the hdd temp is skyrocketing during particular games and what can i do about it? The Lian Li351 has three preinstalled fans. Two 120mm blowing through the case to the back and one 80mm fan installed right on the hdd cage which holds the ssd and hdd, blowing air on them. The fans they included are low speed, reportedly 1000rpm the 120mm ones and 1200 rpm the 80mm one. However at 100% speed that i m constantly running them, the reported speeds are about 1250rpm for the large ones and 1500rpm for the 80mm one.
Doesn't make a difference though during those certain games, the temps are rising anyway.
So what can i do? Simply replacing the hdds fans with a high speed one, say 3000 or even 5000rpm, will hold the temperature down?

I use Caviar Black drives in all my rigs/servers/htpc's, and none of them operate at nearly that high of a temp; I'd follor Redduc's recommendation of contact WD. My last RMA through them took under a week...

Hmm, been researching a new build. I saw that. One said that they are for servers, but they were 4GB drives.

How is your HD cooling? Or is the temps fine? Or is the drive reporting wrong temps? Lotta maybes here.

Back