• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6950 - Unisink/mono/fullsink from stock heatsink and aftermarket GPU sink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robollama

Registered
I was wondering if I could still use the stock heat sink on the card (just the black in this picture) for the VRM/mosfets

in conjunction with an old GPU or CPU heat sink I had lying around.
Mounting holes can always be improvised. I know it's pretty damn ghetto but if it would work fine I'd definitely do it since its free... I just don't know whether the vapor chamber GPU heat sink is required for the unisink-type heatsink to work.

I don't see why it wouldn't work unless I'm overlooking something? It's basically a unisink/unicooler/monosink that covers everything in one swoop instead of individual smaller sinks.

These are all aftermarket solutions using the same principle:

Then use a seperate heatsink + fan for the actual GPU chip. Besides, don't watercoolers sometimes use this combination (unisink + GPU waterblock)? :shrug:

:welcome: to the forums. So, you're saying you'd like to leave the base vrm/ mosfet heatsink on your 6950, and put some other heatsink onto the gpu? The main thing I would want to make sure of is what heatsink you'll be using for the gpu, to make sure it can handle the heatload. Any occasion for the mod?

It's been done. Generally works fine.

The top "aftermarket" one you posted is the stock heatsink off something, minus the core part.

Hm, so why exactly do people bother buying these style heatsinks? Just for aftermarket coolers that won't fit without them?

20110611205.jpg

Many, most even, stock coolers don't leave a plate like that behind when you remove it.
You can cut the thing to shreds sometimes and have a plate, but then it's bye bye warranty.
Without the plate you need heatsinks like those for cooling things.

Back