• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon goodness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks! It's actually set to 1.475, but I have llc on, so it pops it up a bit. It's funny how CPUs can be. That h100 barely cooled my old 970 @ 4.1 with 1.4v. Now it cools this one @ 4.5 with 1.42 with no problems at all. In the winter I could probably squeeze it to 5ghz.. 4.8-4.9 I'd say is doable for certain :thup:

Isn't it cause of the die shrink? 32nm hexas vs 45nm 1366 quads? Same as the 980x, right?
Hey, how much did that chip cost?

EDIT: 5ghz looks doable! I bet if it were to be frozen it'd ramp up like crazy :p

Isn't it cause of the die shrink? 32nm hexas vs 45nm 1366 quads? Same as the 980x, right?
Hey, how much did that chip cost?

EDIT: 5ghz looks doable! I bet if it were to be frozen it'd ramp up like crazy :p
My last CPU was a gulftown, but it was not a stellar example :D

As for price, it cost me my gulftown, 150, an postal fees :thup:

I see some good results on hwbot. Looks like we need you for our team cup contest. Drop in to the benchmarking lounge and pick up some really good pcmark tips. We could use a good submission for 6x pcmark.

Sure, I was actually dissapointed with that score, I was hopeing for at least 30k :D

Tho it could have been the cpu wasnt getting enough voltage, as it later turned out :rain:

So.. I was one of those guys who thought running 1.5v thru a 32nm cpu was ok, because I had a cpu that was not very cooperative. So now I have a cpu that clocks ok, runs cool, and doesn't seem to mind volts to much.. Was there a final verdict on a safeish vcore for 24/7 use? I'm ok with 1.4-1.45v, vtt is at 1.42 wich is about 1.39ish after droop. I like this cpu, but I want to run it hard without running it into the ground.. think it's safe? I should mention its an e.s. I read about some dead 980s and I guess I'm a bit paranoid now :D

Well, from what I've read it was mostly 980x's that were dieing. I saw a 970 or two, and maybe a 990. I haven't seen anything on xeons dieing, google knows so little about it that it makes me a little frustrated because it just gives the little voice in the back of my head permission to pile on the voltage :D I haven't killed a CPU yet, but I don't want this to be the first heheh

Know what you mean

Highest I have gone on mine so far is only 1.4v as it seemed to not be the issue
Got to find the right motherboard voltage to tweak... later when I have a spare moment am just going to safe max them all and then see what my CPU makes of it ^^

Then start backing them down till it falls over, will be a Lot faster than trying to find the right one to increase lol

My chip is rock solid at up to 3.6GHz with stock volts on everything, then just does not want to know most of the time (won't complete all posting).... but will now and then tempt me with a semi stable 3.9GHz on stock volts in Win 7 which later with the same settings would not even post lol

Know what you mean

Highest I have gone on mine so far is only 1.4v as it seemed to not be the issue
Got to find the right motherboard voltage to tweak... later when I have a spare moment am just going to safe max them all and then see what my CPU makes of it ^^

Then start backing them down till it falls over, will be a Lot faster than trying to find the right one to increase lol

My chip is rock solid at up to 3.6GHz with stock volts on everything, then just does not want to know most of the time (won't complete all posting).... but will now and then tempt me with a semi stable 3.9GHz on stock volts in Win 7 which later with the same settings would not even post lol

Im not sure what youve tried, but ill give you a template of what im useing, not sure of itll help tho :shrug:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    104.5 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for that, will give it a good look over soon.

Am just ordering some more RAM for my PC, been struggling on with 3GB for a while and is getting boring with so many freezes while the 2nd HDD for VM thrashes about -.-

was thinking of going with the F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR2 G.Skill Sniper 12GB 1.25v kit due to seeing some Good OC's on it or Tight timings... but Most people have very mixed luck with this stuff...

But came across this really cool RAM : MV-3V4G3D/US SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3 12800 for only $46.99 in the US

Looks basic cheap stuff and only has these : Timings 11-11-11-28
and no Heat Spreader - but is Very low profile - only as high as your MB plastic RAM locks
BUT... default voltage is 1.25v (edited to change from 1.35) and is the 1st 30nm RAM to market :)

This stuff OC's like crazy, several people make 2400MHz with it - or you can tighten the hell out of the timings

Shame those are pretty hard to get hold of in the UK and pretty overpriced : $75.98

Then just saw Kingston do a Low voltage Green HyperX kit : KHX1600C9D3LK2/8GX Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) (PC3 12800)

Timings of 9-9-9-27
Voltage 1.35v

Was getting Very bored of looking at RAM sets and reviews so kinda semi going out on a chance with these (not many reviews about) lol

So bought 2 sets of the Kingston for $55 each

My motherboard can run Double or Triple memory configurations, so can choose and play and maybe buy one more set later :)

Once I get these into my system I will have a try with some of your settings and see what I can get up to.

Last edited:
I did some playing around a few days ago, turns out the imc on this thing is nowhere near as strong on my Xeon as the one on the 970 was. I cannot run my stix @ 1066mhz at full stock settings like I could before.. I think around 1000mhz is all its good for oc'd. Also cannot run 12gb at 933mhz at full stock like before either. I can eek out 944mhz @ 12gb oc'd. So I guess I traded some memory performance for about 5-600mhz on the CPU. I can still pull about 42ns in tri channel with aida64 so it's not all bad news. Normally those fast stix would make me drool. Have not ran dual channel with this thing yet.. Mainly because all of my stix are 2gb.. I've had stix up to 2350 in tri channel before :(

been looking around but hard to find out what chips the LoVo Kingston sticks use. Most likely not the Sammy ones though :(

In an older review from 2010 of the now non-existant 1866MHz variety they were using the Elpida “Hyper” chips which were some of the Best performance RAM chips around.

Sadly not all reviewers try to OC the Green low volt modules... most people who tried got Great results though almost all making 2000MHz+

XBitLabs reviewing the 1866MHz set managed to get 1908MHz @ 7-7-7-20 out of them at 1.65v which I rather liked the sound of :D

I am hoping my 1600MHz will be a newer Genesis HyperX type and use some kinda newer chip.

Turns out the KHX1600C9D3LK2/8GX Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) (PC3 12800) I bought uses:

30nm Micron D9PFJ (DA-125) chips

though I read it does not carry Such tight timings as the Elpida “Hyper” used to.

still going to be good though. Finally found a good simple to the point review of this Kingston LoVo 1600MHz 8GB kit over here:

HardwareLUXX KHX1600C9D3LK2/8GX review (Original German)

HardwareLUXX KHX1600C9D3LK2/8GX review (Google Translated)

I was hoping for something like this - took the gamble that they would use the highest spec chips in a low voltage memory set. Seems to outperform "higher spec" Kingston RAM sets even at OC'd speeds

At same speed/timings like for like tests this RAM almost always seems to carry a small advantage also :)

Back