• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon goodness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Got my X5790 from CW in the mail today :thup:

My old 970 would do 4.1 as my safe max, it would do 4.2, but I'm sure you could boil water with it. This Xeon is doing 4.4 and running sooo cool.. It's a real treat let me tell you. I've had it at 4.6 already, but it was warm in the room so I backed off heheh. After running this Xeon, I have to say I'm kinda hooked on them. I had a c0 bloomfield and a very early gulftown, this thing is light years ahead of what I'm used to :thup:

Last edited:
I had a 2.26ghz zeon hex core that was rather amazing. all the way to 250bclk on an x58 on air

Got my X5790 from CW in the mail today :thup:

My old 970 would do 4.1 as my safe max, it would do 4.2, but I'm sure you could boil water with it. This Xeon is doing 4.4 and running sooo cool.. It's a real treat let me tell you. I've had it at 4.6 already, but it was warm in the room so I backed off heheh. After running this Xeon, I have to say I'm kinda hooked on them. I had a c0 bloomfield and a very early gulftown, this thing is light years ahead of what I'm used to :thup:

I've heard those tend to run quite cool.
You got an Sr-2 too?

I wanna see some pics...if you don't mind. :D

I should have takin a pic of the CPU :bang head

As for the board, I just have an r3f, but it's still an okay board :)

Kids just went to bed so hoping to play soon if doesn't make me watch a movie with her.. :cry:

I had a 2.26ghz zeon hex core that was rather amazing. all the way to 250bclk on an x58 on air
My 970 didn't like more than 200, first post was at 200x21 with the same settings I used for 200x20 on my 970.. That's when I knew it was love. I used to fear IBT, now I welcome it lol :D

Itll run my gskills at 2133 at stock clocks with no problem. I havent had too too much time to play with it yet, hopeing tommorow is the day. Cooing is H100 with 3x 38x120 panaflos (vdcard in the way for 4th), all in an antec sonata :thup:

This is where its at now :

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    90.9 KB · Views: 170
very nice :)

Mine is temporarily stuck at 3.6GHz a speed it seems happy with at stock volts.

Just need more spare time to find which BIOS settings are holding me back then I think I can get 4GHz + stable

My BCLK is stable at stock volts @ 220 no problem all the time

Is strange, one day I cannot make windows at 3.8GHz with 1.4vcore, then another 3.9GHz seems fairly windows stable at stock volts across the board - but cannot post the next day with the same BIOS settings with a varying (day to testing day) motherboard POST error lol

A little harder to figure than the usual run of the mill, But will see :D

Have fun with your little one!

Have you played with any voltages other than vcore? Yes its very different from s775 stuff that's fore sure :)

Maybe a bit like ocing AMD 939 :shrug:

Any grammar errors are because I'm left thumbing it with my iPod heh..

Last edited:
oh, pretty nice!

Temps are not bad at their Max either :)

I might make the switch to water cooling later this year too

I have been upping the OC on my 5850 while working today - as is not attention intensive like trying to get my CPU stable... think the Asus Smart Doctor was part of the problem. Great for setting GPU core V, speed and memory, but recently has randomly been changing my vcore from 1.1+ to the Max of 1.65v :s

Really Scary + when it does not crash instantly it gets Really Hot fast while folding@home. Am pretty happy it did not fry the 1st time (or 6th+)
Solution = seems to be to set then close :)

Later with more time I will tinker beyond the main sets of X58 voltages like vcore, QPi/vtt and maybe go higher on IOH + ICH vcore + others and maybe try increasing the PWM frequency from 400 - 600

They say on this chipset they all play their part on an OC and different boards/chips will like a little different settings from others. Could just try maxing (to normal high OC settings) them all and see what the chip makes of that xD

Today has been a Long day of fitting additional wired fire alarms and preparing my old doors up to 30 min fire door standards... a few more of these to come yet

later this week maybe with time to sit down to a 6hr + OC and testing session :D

That's what I thought too! This chip is rediculous :) every other 1366 chip I've had has been a dog at overclocking, and a bear to cool :D

Looks like shes got some life in her :thup:

Im not sure if she needs that voltage, but I was feeling generous :D

now that's quite something, might be Just a teeny bit jealous here!

will be happy if I can make 4,400 on mine, even 4GHz stable would be nice :)

Thanks man :thup:

This cpu is alot of fun heheh, it reminds me of my old e8600 :attn:

Im sure youre cpu will do just fine, if it helps, mine doesnt really like too much more than 205 bclk, either that or its my board :bang head

Lookin' good!
4.7ghz @ 1.48v insane!
I like the h100 mount idea too.

Thanks! It's actually set to 1.475, but I have llc on, so it pops it up a bit. It's funny how CPUs can be. That h100 barely cooled my old 970 @ 4.1 with 1.4v. Now it cools this one @ 4.5 with 1.42 with no problems at all. In the winter I could probably squeeze it to 5ghz.. 4.8-4.9 I'd say is doable for certain :thup:

Back