• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Vapor-X GHz Edition 3GB vs other 7970's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok because I also saw the Gigabyte for the same price and IIRC the cooler is one of the best there is right now? or am I wrong? Or should I go with a non-GHZ design as it would be similar but save me money?

@Knufire - That actually sounds really fun and extremely interesting. Now I get it, thanks for explaining that. I remember most of that but I got lost reading so i just stopped. lol

I think I will stick with benching and gaming, I don't wanna get into too many things at once and end up spending over $2000 on the rig alone. lol I don't have THAT much to spend. =p

I just don't know how much being a GHz edition really means anything. I don't know if being newer if they OC any better or worse. You may have answered that in your last sentence but I am not sure...

Don't bother spending extra on a ghz edition as it just gives a stock overclock that any card can accomplish

OK so which 7970 would you recommend? As long as it has good reviews and preferably a non reference cooler I will probably like it. Lol

Is the dp to dvi adapter the lightning comes with a dual link dvi? Because the dvi on the card itself are only single link which won't work for 2560x1440. Then there's the whole reactor thing again. Lol I'd have to remove it in on both cards probably in order to cf them, right? Just trying to get all my facts straight. Otherwise I could probably get a different mobo with 3-4 pci 3 slots. I just hope it wouldn't be too much more expensive.

Yep depending on the motherboard that you choose a dual vs triple slot cooler will make a difference. The dcuii cooler is excellent by itself. Buy as joe said it takes up 3 slots

Grr so I'd have to have probably at least 3 pci slots for that and how many expansion slots? Would 8 be enough?

You can also get a MSI 7970 PE for a lot cheaper than a Lightning.

and how many expansion slots? Would 8 be enough?
? Depends on how many peripherals you have that use slots. If none, Technically you only need two with 3 slot spacing for CrossfireX of the DCUII.

That is up to you. Ultimately a dual slot cooler will be fine we are just telling you the best available options.

Why is it so many 7970's have bad reviews? lol Umm I asked this on my mobo thread just now but I'll asl here too i guess. is there a good ATX mobo that can support dual triple slot cards?

I have nothing else that uses expansion slots so all 8 will be fair play. Do cases come with more than 8?

Bro, keep on target with your threads is my suggestion. Talking about boards in the GPU thread only serves to confuse...

Where do they get bad reviews? Newegg? Please dont say newegg reviews... they are mostly a joke (at least we laugh at them).

Sorry, will keep on track. >.< I was refering to NE but it seems almost everything there has weird or bad reviews. Guess that should have been a give away. haha

Ok so this is the upgraded list with a bigger case and E-ATX mobo, just need to find the right graphics card now. One that supports DL-DVI. and isn't triple slot. >.< Still looking at the Gigabyte maybe the non GHz edition? That is only $440.

Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I
MoBo: ASUS Maximus V FORMULA LGA 1155 Z77
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core
HSF: Noctua NH-D14
GPU: ???
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series 128GB
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
ODD: LG DVD Burner OEM

Tell me about it. lol I asked if I could Xfire with the mATX board and i ended up building another system list that is a good deal over my budget right now. =p Think I'll probably just keep the one in my sig because i highly doubt even with a $440 gpu that I can afford it. with the $350-$400 I will be getting extra I still would have to come up with almost $1400. >.<

That looks to be one killer system there. Now just need to budget for a ln2/dry ice pot :p

So is the upgraded mobo and case worth it? Does the FORMULA help OC anymore than the Gene? Or is OC all the same here?

Well maybe I'll just stick with the Gene and get the gig 7970 non-ghz edition. That seems like a good plan and it saves me some money?

OK so which 7970 would you recommend? As long as it has good reviews and preferably a non reference cooler I will probably like it. Lol

Get the Sapphire HD7970 Dual-X OC edition. Its relatively cheap, is capable of good overclocks, has dual bios and a very good GPU cooler. I just bought one after much research and it really seems to be the pick of the bunch for price/perf. If you want the fastest 7970 then buy the Sapphire Toxic 6GB version but its the same price as most high end GTX680's.

Heres a good review for the Sapphire 7970 Dual-X OC edition: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/10/sapphire_hd_7970_oc_edition_video_card_review/1

Back