• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Newegg Sales

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I keep hearing that Mcafee is bad but why?

It is simply the worst consumer-grade antivirus ever conceived by mankind. It's a slow, overzealous control freak that still lets tons of crap through.

Norton is better, but still not great.

I use Avast + Peerblock.

Something competent, and not downloading things / going places you shouldn't.
That second part is crucial, nothing will prevent issues if you browse/download like an idiot.

To answer the specific question as to which software product will block the most infections, the answer is: Linux.

nothing will prevent issues if you browse/download like an idiot.

THESE WORDS ARE PURE GOLD. This is the cause of 90% of my service calls. I get VERY tired of uninstalling a dozen plus toolbars from an old virus-ridden (and never defragmented) Dell with 10+ GB of temporary internet files. THAT S*** IS SLOW.

I use Avast + Peerblock, along with my router & modem firewalls.

Last edited:
This is were i could so destroy the argument that macs are worse than PC's. But i'll just say with Macs you can still slow down your mac and even ruin it with the few virus's there are out there. I use more common sense than anything else with my Internet Security.

+ 1 to common sense, riding with not protection here.

-----

the dell ips monitor seems like a decent deal, anyone have one of those?

Newegg reviews are not very inspiring on the 23" Dell IPS monitor. Flimsy build, no DVI are both common complaints.

Can't always go by Newegg reviews, if all you need is hdmi, it still seems like a good deal for an IPS panel. If I didn't already have a 1440P ips monitor, I'd probably get one.

I have the 21.5" Dell S2240M, and it's amazing for the $140 I paid at Amazon. Sharp colors, high gloss, excellent contrast, etc. I have noticed some minor ghosting in some games, but nothing too serious.

My Review on Amazon.

the dell ips monitor seems like a decent deal, anyone have one of those?

I have the U2312HM. It's often on sale for about 200 and is one of the best ips gaming monitors you can get due to its very low input lag.

In addition if you're not one of those people that runs their monitor at max brightness then you'll be glad you bought one of them rather than a lot of other common LED monitors due to a thing called pulse width modulation. It's what a lot of cheap LED monitors use for backlight dimming and it is decidedly undesirable and causes eyestrain and headaches for some people.

The U2312HM does not seem to use it which is the other half of what makes it a great gaming monitor.

I'm getting ready to take advantage of the Dual 7959 Combo that comes with games. I'll get two of them for four way crossfire!!!

Actually did just that, picked up two, one for my NAS, and one for my HTPC.

OK, just grabbed the SSR-360GP for my NAS. Reviews seem decent, the NAS peaks at a whopping 125w from the wall (average is 115w under load, 80w with all the drives spun down), and since I'm not paying the electric bill over the summer, going from simply 80plus to 80plus gold should help. (And yes, I do turn it off when I'm not using it)

Last edited:
Back