• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Newegg Sales

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only 4 SATA ports, ...
Plus "Sata Express" which looks like it can handle two SATA devices. And M.2 also. Speaking for myself, I look for USB 3.0 on recent mobo purchases so someday when I have a USB 3.0 device I'll be able to support it. ;) Four USB 3.0 + 2 on the mobo for a front panel connector would be plenty! Intel ethernet is nice too. Support for three monitors on the motherboard. Seems like a bit more than a minimalist board but I suppose it's relative. What would you need to pay to expand on these capabilities? Would Micro-ATX have space for 6 PCI slots plus the Thunderbolt header?

And the ever important PS/2 connector. I wonder why. How many buyers are still banging away on a Model M or Northgate. ;) (Raises hand...) Maybe the manufacturers are working off an overstock of PS/2 connectors.

Plus "Sata Express" which looks like it can handle two SATA devices. And M.2 also. Speaking for myself, I look for USB 3.0 on recent mobo purchases so someday when I have a USB 3.0 device I'll be able to support it. ;) Four USB 3.0 + 2 on the mobo for a front panel connector would be plenty! Intel ethernet is nice too. Support for three monitors on the motherboard. Seems like a bit more than a minimalist board but I suppose it's relative. What would you need to pay to expand on these capabilities? Would Micro-ATX have space for 6 PCI slots plus the Thunderbolt header?

And the ever important PS/2 connector. I wonder why. How many buyers are still banging away on a Model M or Northgate. ;) (Raises hand...) Maybe the manufacturers are working off an overstock of PS/2 connectors.

Okay, then, six SATA ports. On a full ATX board, I expect at least eight ports :) M.2 doesn't count; it makes sense on laptops as a more versatile form factor, but I really don't understand why they're pushing it on desktop boards. Compare it to my board, which is just $30 more on NewEgg. I have twice as many USB 3.0 ports, four times as many 2.0, more SATA ports (including eSATA), two PS/2 ports for you silly Model M clackers out there who also have old ball mice :p (I prefer my Filco Cherry Black and Corsair Cherry Brown), and a Firewire port, which is just as useful as Thunderbolt (IMHO a.k.a. not at all).

So, I think it's a good board in the combo, as it's only ~$50 there, but I think the $140 individual price is rather high. Especially with the ridiculous included cables that don't match up with the board's ports.

Back