• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Newegg Sales

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
10/23/14

Not as much PC hardware in this one...lots of audio equipment though.

I think I'll pick up that Polk Audio sw505. I'm going to use it for my main PC/gaming rig sound system. Pairing it with a Yamaha receiver and Polk RM8's as surrounds. Should be a slight upgrade from my little Logitech 5.1 setup :p

The PSW 505 is a good value at $170...it may not hit the lowest notes, but it certainly has power. The $600 MSRP is BS. It sells for ~$200 on the average day.

Might be ok for some semi-audiophiles; not much reaches that low. However, it's definitely not ok for people who like action movies. KaBOOOOOM!! (rumble rumble rumble rumble...)

Also depends on how much it rolls off to get to 23Hz as well. More than a few db and its questionable.

I will never forget my experience at a high end audio shop watching 2 Velodyne 18"(or maybe 15" - the ones with the marble base from early 2000) reproduce the live cannon shots from the 1812 Overture. IIRC, they were 17Hz blasts. Nothing like not hearing a damn thing but feeling an immense pressure on your ears and watching nearly 3" of excursion on the driver and ALMOST being able to count how many times its moving.

I love my audio test disk I have..."Subwoofer test... 100hz to 10Hz".

/jack. :)

Those Polk ceiling speakers would have made a nice addition to my system, if they ever come out with Dolby Atmos for the PC. Hell, why don't we already have 9.1, or 11.1 channel support for PC gaming with height playback already?? It's almost 2015 and I'm still rocking the same (modded) 7.1 X-Fi from years ago cause there hasn't been anything new worthwhile to replace it. :screwy:

Yea It's not for the pickiest of audiophiles, but at that price I couldn's pass it up. I don't watch any movies on this pc it's strictly for music & gaming. It will be loads better than the z506 (1st version). I have a 450watt rms Klipsch for my main home theatre setup that sounds nice and has a wider range.

Those Polk ceiling speakers would have made a nice addition to my system, if they ever come out with Dolby Atmos for the PC. Hell, why don't we already have 9.1, or 11.1 channel support for PC gaming with height playback already?? It's almost 2015 and I'm still rocking the same (modded) 7.1 X-Fi from years ago cause there hasn't been anything new worthwhile to replace it. :screwy:

True that. I think it's just from lack of demand honestly. Most people are happy with how well on-board sound is these days and don't really demand anything better. Add to the fact most people don't even have 5.1 setups and can't even decode DTS-HD & Dolby True HD

Last edited:
Yep. The audio community just adores how most speaker companies intentionally omit the frequency response tolerances from their products' specs sheets. Definitive Technology is the single worst offender in that aspect.

Which is odd because they are a midrange/higher end as well. My uncle has an older set of their BP-8080ST's being powered by all McIntosh equipment... :shock:

Yep, they make really good equipment, most of which uses passive radiators to boost bass response. When it comes to their advertised low frequency responses, the rule of thumb is that doubling what the tell you will give you somewhere between the -3db and -6 db limit (they advertise the -24 db limit).

Looks like a not-very-decent board. Only 4 SATA ports, advertising "support for the funest gaming platform Steam" (whatever "funest" is) as if the motherboard has anything to do with Steam :bang head, only comes with 3 SATA cables for 4 SATA ports (WTF?), only 4 USB 3.0 ports, and they put it on a full-size ATX board. This should be Micro-ATX with the very limited number of features on it. If you were going to pay the $350 for the CPU and had no other board, though, it's probably worth the extra $40 for the combo.

Back