• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem networking 2 computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you tried to ping the machines? Ping comp a from comp b and vice versa?

Tried that too. Get request timed out.
Right now my main computer is seeing itself and the other computer. When I click on the second computers name, I get, "...is not accessible, the computer or sharename could not be found". The second computer is not even seeing itself. One strange thing though. On my second computer , if I try setting the TCP/IP setting to "obtain an IP address automatically", the computer WILL see itself, but not my main computer.
Very odd:(

Gresyth said:
just found this
try it also make SURE that File and Printer sharing is turned on on the second machine and that the drives are SHARED.

I read through it. I tried everything it explains. File and Printer sharing has been on and the C drive on both computers is shared.
Don't know what else to try:(

When I have the computers ping each other, I get "Request timed out". I guess it's probably a hardware problem. I'm going to send the cable back for a replacement.

From rereading the thread from the top saw something I missed before. Get rid of the domain, you dont need it. Domain is only set on VERY large networks like several hundred computers.

Eliminate the domain and set up a workgroup name. Use the same Workgroup name on both computers.

If all that is correct, unplug all your cables and then reconnect them to make sure they are all connected securely.
Try switching your cable positions, take cable 'A' and put it where cable B' was.

If that does'nt help try uninstalling everything and starting over from scratch.

Gresyth said:
From rereading the thread from the top saw something I missed before. Get rid of the domain, you dont need it. Domain is only set on VERY large networks like several hundred computers.

Eliminate the domain and set up a workgroup name. Use the same Workgroup name on both computers.

If all that is correct, unplug all your cables and then reconnect them to make sure they are all connected securely.
Try switching your cable positions, take cable 'A' and put it where cable B' was.

If that does'nt help try uninstalling everything and starting over from scratch.

I'm not using a Domain. I was just asking about it earlier. I have the same Workgroup name on both computers. I already tried reversing the cables. I removed and reinstalled everything on my second computer a few days ago. I'll have to do the same on this one.
One thing I noticed. In Norton's Utilities/ System Information/Networking, I get "enumeration failed..." on my second computer. On this one, everything shows up fine.
:eh?: So I believe the problem is with my second computer. Maybe I'll have to format and reinstall everything:(

Despotes said:

I'm not using a Domain. I was just asking about it earlier. I have the same Workgroup name on both computers. I already tried reversing the cables. I removed and reinstalled everything on my second computer a few days ago. I'll have to do the same on this one.
One thing I noticed. In Norton's Utilities/ System Information/Networking, I get "enumeration failed..." on my second computer. On this one, everything shows up fine.
:eh?: So I believe the problem is with my second computer. Maybe I'll have to format and reinstall everything:(

Sounds like fun. (NOT) Let us know how it turns out.

I'm currently formatting... a second time:rolleyes: After the first time, I was getting BSOD's when trying to read a CDRW from the CD ROM. So, I couldn't load any of the drivers I saved. Let ya know later;)

I went to a PC shop and the guy told me to use IPX/SPX and remove Netbui and TCP/IP compatible protocol>D Link-DFE-530TX. I set up everything like he said and it WORKED! I started to transfer a HL/CS file from the main computer to my second pc. About half way through the transfer(copy/paste) I got a BSOD on my second system! Ever since the BSOD, the computers won't see each other anymore. :( I get frequent BSOD's now trying to search for the other computer on each system. What in Hades is going on?? It was working, until I started transfering a file. Any clues??

sounds to me that you need to upgrade OS. So you were transfering a file and the Blue Screen came up and ever since then you haven't been able to see the other computers? What are the actuall specs on both machines?

Something you can try.
Remove everything from the installed components box in network properties.
Delete Winsock.dll from your windows directory.
Reboot.
Go back to Network properties and make sure you have Client,adaptor, tcp/ip, netbeui, ipx/spx.
Reset your tcp/ip settings.
Do this on both machines.
Try again to use the network. You will probably have to remap any drives that are now mapped.

Good Luck.

My main system
A7M266/1.2Ghz T-Bird
512MgCrucial2100/2-2-2
Gainward G3 Ti/550
Maxtor D740X 60Gig
ToshibaDVD
SB Live!5.1Platinum
Win98SE
SECOND SYSTEM
PIII 600E
256meg/PC100
Aureal Vortex 2
Asus 52X CD ROM
W.D. 20.5Gig
Win98SE
The main system has all the Windows updates. The second one does not. Does the second system need a particular update to network properly?

Back