• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem networking 2 computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Despotes

I have everything installed and the the ip, subnet, and gateway all configured, but my second computer is not detected in Network Neighborhood. Only this one. They both have the same workgroup name. Lan cards "appear" to be working ok. I'm using crossover cables. How would I verify they really are anyways?
In the Network icon, when I select my LAN card/Properties/Bindings, there is nothing in the box below. Is there suppose to be a protocol or something showing there?
I selected "TCP/IP Dial UP Adapter" to configure my ip, subnet and gateways settings.
On my second computer, when I select Network Neighborhood, I get an error saying," Unable to browse the network The network is not accessible".
I don't know what's going on. Any advice? Thanks

I'm using Win98SE

First make sure both cards are showing up in the device manager
what I do to configure each one is right click on each machines neighborhood network, go to properties and make sure you have
client for microsoft network, dial up adapter,your network ,tcp/ip dialup adapter,adapter,tcp/ip->(name of your adapter),and file and printer sharing, sometimes netbui is also required.Hope this helps

:)

mamer said:
what I do to configure each one is right click on each machines neighborhood network, go to properties and make sure you have
client for microsoft network, dial up adapter,your network ,tcp/ip dialup adapter,adapter,tcp/ip->(name of your adapter),and file and printer sharing, sometimes netbui is also required.Hope this helps

I did and confirmed all the above. What and where do I find Netbui?
I'm gonna try switching the cards around and maybe try a different PCI slot.

mamer said:

This is what I have in properties Client for Microsoft Networks, Microsoft Family Login, D-Link DFE-530TX+PCI Adapter, Dialup Adapter, TCP/IP>D-Link DFE-530TX+PCI Adapter,TCP/IP>Dialup Adapter, File and Printer Sharing.
You mention, "your network". What exactly is that suppose to be?? Thankyou

I meant your netcard, get ride of family logon and that should do it, are you seeing eachother or atleat yourselves when you open up network neighborhood?

mamer said:
I meant your netcard, get ride of family logon and that should do it, are you seeing eachother or atleat yourselves when you open up network neighborhood?

I'm still just seeing this one computer from this computer/ the workgroup name and the name of the computer.
My other computer still cannot see itself:eh?:

Open up properties on the one that sees itself and duplicate what you see onto the other pc, also did you say that you were using a crossover cable or patch, if it's a patch you will need a hub between the two, if it's crossover cable then you should have what you need, hang in there, we will get it sooner or later!

mamer said:
Open up properties on the one that sees itself and duplicate what you see onto the other pc, also did you say that you were using a crossover cable or patch, if it's a patch you will need a hub between the two, if it's crossover cable then you should have what you need, hang in there, we will get it sooner or later!

I tried, on the second computer, going to properties on the Network Neighborhood icon and had it try to find itself, but it does not.
Yeah, it's suppose to be 5e crossover cable, but there's nothing on the cable itself indicating this. I sent an E-mail to a2z cables asking if there is a way to confirm that it actually is crossover cable.

Butt the ends of the cable together and see if they are the same wire colors or differant, crossovers are differant colors patch will be the same, you should be able to see the wire colors at the connecters

mamer said:
Butt the ends of the cable together and see if they are the same wire colors or differant, crossovers are differant colors patch will be the same, you should be able to see the wire colors at the connecters

A couple of the wires from both ends don't match up/ different colors. Well, there's one deduction. What else could it be?
I'm off to bed. PartII tomorrow. Thanks for the help:)

Still have no idea what is wrong. My second computer seems to have the problem. It won't detect itself in Network Neighborhood. This computer won't detect it either, but it detects itself just fine.:eh?:

Good link. One question. This computer that sees itself ok has the option of "sharing" when I right click on my C drive. This "sharing" option is not available on my other computer that has the problem. Would this suggest a software/driver problem?
I tried pinging from both computers, but received a timeout error both times. This might indicate a hardware issue, but could likely be software/driver related as well since the "sharing" option isn't available. Yes??

What do you mean by noy available? Greyed out, not there?

You can enable sharing by right-clicking on an object (printer, disk or directory) in Windows Explorer, and choosing Sharing... on the Sharing... tab. If you don't have a Sharing... option on your right-click menu, you don't have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed. Only systems with something to share will show up in the Network Neighborhood.

mamer said:
It's not offering sharing to you because it doesn't see anyone to share things with, once all is working that will too.

But, this computer that sees itself, but doesn't see the other one to share anything with has the Sharing option. Why would it want to share with itself?

----Sharing is not there at all-----. I have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed on both computers.
I have my C drive being Shared from this computer, but there is no other computer detected in Network Neighborhood(only itself). On my second computer, when I click on Network Neighborhood, I get an error. " Unable to browse the network"

Last edited:
I reinstalled the adapter drivers and Client for Microsoft Networks and now the Sharing option is available on the second computer. I now have my C drive sharing on both computers. Also, I'm now able to see my second computer from this one, but when I click on it it says it's "not accessible, computer or sharename could not be found". My second computer STILL does not see itself.
I'm making headway... I think:) I heard 2 opposing viewpoints on whether or not something should be in the Default Gateway. Should there be a number in there. I currently have 192.168.0.1 on both systems. Is this right?

Update: Am I suppose to be using Logon to Windows NT Domain in Client For Microsoft Networks? If so, What do I use for a Domain name?
Now my second computer is detecting this one and this computer NOW is not detecting my second one. Is it suppose to be this...:eek:
Am I suppose to be mapping any drives?

Last edited:
Despotes said:
I currently have 192.168.0.1 on both systems. Is this right?

I see what your prob is. The computer you are on now should be your host. So in other words it should have the address of 192.168.0.1 and the second computer should have 192.168.0.2

This is the reason why your second computer is not seeing itself. also make sure your subnet is 255.255.255.0
Then select the drives on both computer that you would like to share between the 2.

Try that and let me know if its working.

MY Default Gateway on both computers is 192.168.0.1
The IP address for this one is 192.168.0.2
The IP address for my second computer is 192.168.0.3
The Subnet Mask on both computers is 255.255.255.0
Am I suppose to be using the Default Gateway at all, or leave it blank?
Thanks

Back