• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New 1TB HD shows in bios but not W7, cannot format

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

What am I doing wrong?

I have a new 3570k build going on.

Installed windows on the SSD using a DVD player, they are both hooked up. Once everything was looking good, I connected the SATA 1TB drive to the system. It shows up in BIOS, but for the life of me W7 won't see it in the computer under 'computer'.

I tried multiple SATA ports, it shows up in the BIOS as moved to another port.

It shows up in device manager etc. I went through this before I think, I want to format it so I can use it.

How am I being silly and not making it workies?:bang head

Last edited:
The drive is not yet formatted. You can format it by using disk management.

Right click on computer from the start menu and click manage. Then click disk management. Select the disk and tell it to format ntfs :)

Fixed it

NM, I Googled it on the 'Internets'. Thanks Al!:facepalm:

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.‌
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

Fastest way to get there: Winkey+R (or Start>Run if you're a Linux-hating keyboard-o-phobe :)) diskmgmt.msc

If it's a brand new disk, it should pop up a dialog upon opening asking if you want to initialize the disk. You have to do that before you can partition and format it. Then you want "new simple volume", unless you want to use it as part of a Windows RAID set (then you'd pick the appropriate type of volume for which kind of RAID you want).

EDIT: Posted because both of y'all skipped over the "initialize" part :)

Last edited:
NM, I Googled it on the 'Internets'. Thanks Al!:facepalm:

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.‌
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

So basically what I recommended :p

Back