• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random GPU Usage Drops (HD 6950)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schmeebs

So lately when gaming I have been having FPS drops, on further investigation my GPU usage has been dropping to less than 20% often 0% then goes back up to normal levels. I have two 6950s in Crossfire

I've looked at the normal culprits (Overheating, my GPU barely goes over 70 C) undervolting (cranked up the power in CCC to +20% and upped the voltage slightly in MSI Afterburner). I don't have any power saving features enabled in windows or my bios or CCC that I can see.

I am using 12.8 of the catalyst drivers and the latest CAP

So, doing further research when Using Benchmarking Utilities (Unigine Heaven, Furmark) My GPU Usage Stays up, doesn't throttle, so I can't believe its a lack of Power or even thermal throttling because with furmark my GPU managed to get up to 100 C when it barely goes over 70 even in BF3 on ultra.

Does anyone have any ideas anything I should Check?

So, it looks like I found the culprit

It seems on the bios on my Particular Motherboard (Asrock 990FX Extreme3, Probably other similar models as well) APM has to be set to auto because its disabled whenever overclocking is set to Manual. setting APM to disabled doesn't actually disable it.

Just in case someone else comes up with a similar issue.

Back