• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got a 7850 few months ago, now I see a cheaper 7870...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

an00bis

Registered
mine's MSI and the 7870 is sapphire
should I cry? Is the difference so big between them? mine's running at an OC that beats the GTX580 in games, what does the 7870 do? shouldve waited more...

And?

You can play the waiting game and never buy anything too. It is what it is, AMD has had two noteable price drops on their 7 series lineup since release. It happens on both sides of the fence.

Reviews, including ours show they are just a few percent apart.

ya dude it happens you have to know How long you want to wait
think about it radeon 8xxx should be out by feb so if you had $500 and want a super good GPU you would have to ether wait for a 8970 or get a 7970
waiting game hurts
i got a 6950 for $230 now i can get them for $150 but waiting was not worth it for me

yea lol the card i paid like 300 for a year ago now i cant even get rid of it for $180 10 months later it sucks i should have tried to drop it a month ago they were still selling pretty quick at 200

the only things that hold a decent value are motherboards, processors and power supplies. video cards and ram lose value fast i paid 209 for my cpu over a year ago week after release and i can still get ~$180 for it (seems to be what they get bid up to on ebay)

Last edited:
I paid north of 400 for my 7950 and now it is 300. It happens. I know I would not be able to wait. My old card was driving me bonkers.

Nvidia released a superior product. AMD's strategy was to slash their prices way down to stay competitive. I don't mind, it's this sort of competition that's only good for consumers. :)

Nvidia released a superior product. AMD's strategy was to slash their prices way down to stay competitive. I don't mind, it's this sort of competition that's only good for consumers. :)

Given that from the GTX 660ti to GTX 680 vs 7870 to 7970 no nvidia card is faster or in anyway better, i don't see how they "released a superior product" its just not is it? :)

Here is GTX 670 / GTX 660ti vs 7950 from an enthusiast's point of view. IE not factory overclock's, or stock while picking specific game setting and then using 1 to 1 ratio bar charts that are tricky to understand for some people.
Just overclock them properly, ram the Game settings right up and compare FPS. :D

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_660_ti_gc_oc_vs_670_hd_7950/1

GTX 670 isn't looking so good there.

AMD did what they always do, undercut the competition.

If its any consolation to an00bis, i bought my 7870 for £240 just 6 week ago, it can now be had for £200. But meh :shrug: it happens.

Last edited:
Given that from the GTX 660ti to GTX 680 vs 7870 to 7970 no nvidia card is faster or in anyway better, i don't see how they "released a superior product" its not is it?
MOre or less, I agree with the underlying message, they are about the same outside of price as far as performance goes. Though understand that some people (not me, or most enthusiasts to be fair) care about power consumption and noise. If comparing reference to reference, Nvidia does have the advantage there. Noise of course matters with the cooler used, but Cooler, Quieter, and less power consumption Nvidia did nail this time around. What was a staple for AMD users in the past suddenly turn to a non issue when they dont have that crown...

I sure as hell wouldnt have said, "the GTX670 isnt looking so good there". If you actually looked at the results, even overclocked, its a win some lose some situation not a knock out per say, though at the higher res (that fewer people use), the 7950 does win some more over the Nvidia card (3 for AMD, 1 for Nvidia, and one within a FPS so tie). When moving down to the much more common 1920x1080 AMD gets 2, Nvidia 1, and one tie but the FPS were within 1-2 FPS outside of one game that Nvidia won in Batman. So yeah, overall when overclocked the 7950 has it by a small, not even noticeable margin in these games, but 'isnt looking so good' isnt exactly what I would call an accurate description. But then again, your cup runeth over AMD so I wouldnt expect a different sentiment from you at this point. :p

Last edited:
I should have clarified. Before the price drops and the driver updates that increased the performance of the 7xxx series, the GTX680 was faster, more efficient, and ran cooler than the 7970, and the 670 to the 7950, etc. With the combination of the driver updates and the price cuts, the 7970 is now on the price level of the 670 and the 7950 on the level of the 660Ti, giving AMD the edge in price/performance back.

I should have clarified. Before the price drops and the driver updates that increased the performance of the 7xxx series, the GTX680 was faster, more efficient, and ran cooler than the 7970, and the 670 to the 7950, etc. With the combination of the driver updates and the price cuts, the 7970 is now on the price level of the 670 and the 7950 on the level of the 660Ti, giving AMD the edge in price/performance back.
Spot on sir. :) :thup:

The community is anxiously awaiting Nvidia's reply, if any, to this.

There are a total of 9 game slides in there, the 7950 win 6 of them and the GTX 670 win 3.

I don't care much about 30 watts of power, its a few cheese burgers a year, as for heat, no 7### series card runs hot, they all run pretty cool, they are a little + / - the GTX cards depending on the cooler, as you say.

What i care about is performance for price, i think most enthusiasts feel the same way, actually. The 7950 always was cheaper than the GTX 670, its a lot cheaper now and once in the users rig set up the way he wants it its at least as fast as the GTX 670, to be kind to it.

I guess I dont count less than 1 FPS victories for either brand (as I already posted - 2 of those). Not to mention in 1920x1080 there are another two games with less than 2 FPS separating the cards. Considering these are run throughs and not canned benchmarks, I would consider all of those a wash. That said, I fully agree with Knu's update post. There is no doubt that driver improvements and price drops have brought these cards to be a primary choice for a lot of people especially if they overclock. Stock results though are a bit different (same site, smae drivers, just stock clocks all around). Its the legs/scaling AMD has in overclocking that really put these up at the top IMO. If they dont overclock, it comes down to if the few FPS difference between them is worth the cost difference.

I guess I dont count less than 1 FPS victories for either brand (as I already posted - 2 of those). Not to mention in 1920x1080 there are another two games with less than 2 FPS separating the cards. Considering these are run throughs and not canned benchmarks, I would consider all of those a wash. That said, I fully agree with Knu's update post. There is no doubt that driver improvements and price drops have brought these cards to be a primary choice for a lot of people especially if they overclock. Stock results though are a bit different (same site, smae drivers, just stock clocks all around). Its the legs/scaling AMD has in overclocking that really put these up at the top IMO. If they dont overclock, it comes down to if the few FPS difference between them is worth the cost difference.

It varies from 1 to 10 FPS but nevermind, and i never said the 7950 was "a superior product" what i said was "nvidia are not superior products"

To begin with AMD only had the GTX 580 to beat, an easy task in hindsight considering a 7850 can do that.

Then nvidia came along knowing what they had to beat, so they set higher clocks, as a result AMD cards have more headroom than nvidia to overclock.

AMD are now releasing higher clocked reference cards, at this point i don't know why as 3'rd party overclocked cards already do that. But that's the reasoning.

If nvidia finally pocked AMD to sort there drivers out once and for all after all this time, well good then, its about time AMD sorted that out.

Last edited:
This is the way computer technology works dude. Just be comfortable knowing that you got great bang for your buck back when you purchased the 7850. You can't future proof video cards. Now if there is one thing you want to regret about your purchase, it's these God awful drivers. 12.8 seems to have fixed my hard freezes in WoW, but just the other day, I got the stupid display crash when the screen falls asleep.

This is the way computer technology works dude. Just be comfortable knowing that you got great bang for your buck back when you purchased the 7850. You can't future proof video cards. Now if there is one thing you want to regret about your purchase, it's these God awful drivers. 12.8 seems to have fixed my hard freezes in WoW, but just the other day, I got the stupid display crash when the screen falls asleep.
Well you're right but... by "few months ago" i mean literally a few months ago, like at the beginning of the summer. 2 months if I waited I could've got a better deal but meh... I realize this is pointless. But I should wait to see all new products next time, I'll never buy something that's considered "new" ever again, i'd rather have it old and cheap. And I also paid 300$... stupid 24% VAT. You lucky americans can get it for 200$, and for 300 you could've got a 660ti or better. Second hand 7950?

When you buy a video card at release, you are risking driver issues and price issues as you have pointed out. That is why I try to buy the cheapest card that will play all games that I forsee buying at settings that I am content with. For example, I bought a 4870 in the summer of 2010 and just recently upgraded to a 7850. At the time, the 4870 allowed me to max out SC2, which was all I needed. However, my needs have increased (Battlefield 3). In the end, I am ahead because if you combine my cash outlay for both cards, I do not believe there was a video card that I could have gotten back then that would trump the 7850 (had I decided to make a large purchase back then rather than buy a mediocre card back then and upgrade later).

Well you're right but... by "few months ago" i mean literally a few months ago, like at the beginning of the summer. 2 months if I waited I could've got a better deal but meh... I realize this is pointless. But I should wait to see all new products next time, I'll never buy something that's considered "new" ever again, i'd rather have it old and cheap. And I also paid 300$... stupid 24% VAT. You lucky americans can get it for 200$, and for 300 you could've got a 660ti or better. Second hand 7950?
This is normal stuff man.. part of being in the bleeding edge.

Back